icon

Amplifier stays on after vehicle shutdown

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

My brother's amp, a Profile AP1200, stays on after the vehicle is shut off.  It worked fine for about 2 months, then it started doing this.  The remote wire is hooked up to the remote wire on the head-unit.  Any idea what the problem is.  Right now, he has to take the fuse out so he doesn't have a dead battery.  

Thanks for your input,

Jacob

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
Most likly the radio has a short in it, which is feeding a constant 12v through the remote. Or through some incredible fluke or bad install the remote wire shorted to the power wire. What i will do is remove the remote wire from the amp, if it shuts off then the short is in the radio, if not its in the amp.
tcbturbosux 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

Take the remote and try hooking it up to the accessory off of the head unit, instead of it being hooked up to the remote off of the head unit. See if this will turn the amplifier off when the car is turned off.

Candy

Uncle Gumby
hardknocks 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
there should also be a solid blue wire for the power antenna you can use it as well
4-15" RF T2
6-7" RF Component sets
8 Planet Audio 900d
10 Batcap800
1 250 amp alt
1 300 amp alt
2" sound deadner roof,doors,floors
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
And it could be a defective amplifier.  Profile is not a brand known for reliability.
Support the12volt.com
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

I figured out it was the head-unit.  When I disconnected the remote wire from the amplifier, it shut off.

So, I disconnected the remote wire from the back of the head-unit and the amp shut off, so I figure it is a defective head-unit, right?????? 

tcbturbosux:  The HU only has one remote on wire, and I know it is the right one since it had worked for about 2 months.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
worst case scenario, leave the remote hooked up, just add a external on off switch around your seat to turn the amp on (let current complete thru remote)
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Turbo was telling you that if you connect the amp's remote wire to the accessory (red) wire behind the deck, it will turn on and off with the key rather than the radio.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tcbturbosux 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

but the amplifier would still be on when the car is on and off when the car is off, would it not. it still solves his problem of the amplifier staying on and draining the battery. If he wanted to turn his radio off while the car is running, yes the amplifier would stay on but it wouldn't be hurting anything because the car is running therefore keeping the battery charged up.

Oh and by the way I'm Candy not turbo, the name turbo is poking fun at an ex-employee who really sux. ie.tcbturbosux

Uncle Gumby
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
You're right.  I was just trying to explain to Jacob the purpose of doing it.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic