icon

false floor door

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
im building a false floor with like a secret door sort of.. the point is to allow me to open the false floor without taking everything out allowing me to have access to the jack/tools to change my wheel...
drawn in the diagram is the set up.. the bottom rectangle is where the door would flap up.. the red lines are representing the hinges.. the hinges i have are smaller versions of like door hinges.. the blue things are fans to keep the amp and cap cool under the false floor...
now my problem is how can i mount the hinges (or anything else you can recommend) to sort of sit flush with the floor... right now the floors is 1/2 mdf and the door is 1/8. i dont mind if the rounded part of the hinge juts out but i want to concel it as much as possible... any suggestions?
thanks in advancefalse floor door - Last Post -- posted image.
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
What about using like kitchen cabinet hinges those mount on the back side and should be out of sight when it's closed.
never done this myself but it seems like it should work. Any other ideas?
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
yea, use kitchen cabinet hinges, PIT to put on and adjust and all, but if you get it down, they will just screw in no mods, except you need a tiny gap, because they open close to the hinge side of the wood REALL close (lol) out a lil bit first before they open.  Just a suggestion.  If not use the hinges you have, maybe a lil thicker wood cause your gonna need to cut the edge to make room for the cylinder part of the hinge and it will be covered that way.  Depends on what money you have and what tools you have.  The kitchen hinges are like $10 a pop so it is really up to you.  I have kitchen hinges on something I made and it looks great just there needs to be a gap like I said.
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
mustang any pics?
thanks for the replys
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Nah I dont have ne , but the gap is prolly less than a 1/16 of an inch

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.