icon

Fiberglassing upside down, tricks?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gaines 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
Today was my first attempt at creating a custom fiberglass enclosure. I got half of the fiberglass down, but had a terrible time getting it to stick on the underside of my trunk. I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions that some of the more experienced members might be able to share.
What I ended up doing to get this fiberglass to stay was to stick a trash bag to it and blow it up with my shop vac. This, hopefully, held the fiberglass up against the top of the trunk long enough to set.
jt73 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
you could also try using 3m super 77 spray adhesive or something similiar and glue the mat down while waiting for your resin to go on...or use thixotropic powder...
bndallas 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
don't go that high in the trunk. If you are doing it for the first time .  do it from the side & bottom . fill the top in later  ,  after you get the mould out of the car.
smonster 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
I would use a thixotropic powder. I use hollow glass spheres, they work great and it is only 6$ a jar. It stretches out batches of resin too, very cost effective and works real nice. I also agree with the spray adhesive. First things first though, make sure that you slap some resin down BEFORE the mat/cloth, let it tack up a minute or two even.
Just my .02
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
soak strips of mat, let them sit for a few minutes until they are tacky.  Put them up, and squeegee/ roll excess resin out.
smonster 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I like that, I'm going to give that a try!
the rah 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 3:33 AM / IP Logged  
can you take the trunk off??????????
rah2son
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
you can go to selectproducts.com and they have a layup adhesive for use with resin. it will hold a lot longer than any other spray adhesive. because the resin actually deactivates the adhesive. there is many ways to do it but the tools make the difference.
one way i do it is take 1/2 x 1/2 strips cut certain ways that spray glue them to the car. than you use an upolstry stapler to adhere a light weight fabric to the strips so that the resin never comes incontact with the adhesive and keeps a form for drying, with spray glue what happens is the resin getts heavy from being upside down with out a stong bond from glue or staples or something the fabric with sag and ruin what your trying to accomplish.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic