icon

Proper wiring and capacitors?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtmas8 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
I currently run a system in my car, 2005.5 audi a4, which includes 3 kicker cvr 12", 1 sx1250.1, 1 kx650.4, and kicker rs components in all 4 doors. I also am using a alpine Iva 300. I am running a 2nd battery and alternator is already a 120 amp. Recently I was hit in the trunk when waiting at a light at 65 mph. As you might've guess system does not work properly anymore.
I am looking to upgrade to (2) JL 13.5w7's each running on a JL 1000/1 amp and will run my speakers on a mtx 4 channel amp. I was wondering should i add a 3rd battery or is two enough? If so what is the "proper" wiring of all of these if the mtx amp is running off of the regular car battery and sub amp(s)? are running off one or two batterys? Also if i kept 2 batterys or upgraded to 3 would I need to add any capacitors or are they useless?
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
ehh 120 amps is not big enough for that much power...
even with the efficiency of a JL Amp, 120 amp alternator is the weak spot.
Sorry bout your accident, hope you werent hurt.
1.) Upgrade the "big three" by reading the stickies around here or searching around the web.
2.) a cap will be a bandaid for a larger problem and ultimately you have to have to power to recharge the batteries.
look for having an alt rewound
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
Click on this link it has the information your looking for.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
what mtx amp are you planning to use?
using 3 batteries on an not enough Alternator is not a good idea, i mean, 3 batteries, JL 1000/1 amp, MTX amp. the 120 A alt. will not be enough for that.
you'll need a bigger HO Alt.
Shaking The Neighborhood
mtmas8 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
where could i purchase a HO alternator?
mtmas8 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
also a couple more questions, how should everything be wired if I used a two battery OR three battery system? What connectors, fuses, terminals, etc. would I need to wire all of this as well as how would I connect both my sub ampsto my deck. I have an alpine iva 310 touchscreen deck and it has three preamp outputs, but just one sub preamp? Thanks
mtmas8 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
Found places to buy HO alternators I am just wondering if I could get away with my 120 alt and some capacitors? Thanks
jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
no u should upgrade the big 3 then get a hold of ohio generators, mobile spec, or iraggi all three are ho altanators company usually they'll ask what was the size of the old alt and ask what will be the total current draw of the system and then they will build u an alt to the specs needed usually u send them ur old alt and they will rebuild it up to around 240-280amps about $500 any bigger u need 2 alt's or one huge alt requires bigger casing if everything is done right u dont need any caps now they say caps dont really do anything to save batteries but they r really to supply volts faster for the amps but all in all if u get a bigger alt and use a optima yellow top u dont need more than that one batt unless u play ur stereo for long periods of time with the car off jus suck it up and get the bigger alt save u allot of headaches and wallet pains in the long run do it right the first time right guys
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
mtmas8 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
thanks any specific way to wire dual sub amps to a deck? and how should i wire all amps to the one battery or two?
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Take the money you were going to spend on caps and buy the most powerful alternator you can. Then go and do your Big 3.
http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics
You may have trouble finding a drop in replacement since your car is so new. Having someone rebuild it may be an option.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic