icon

Box for CVR's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

I plan on getting a bigger box for my CVR's, and I was wondering if there'll be a big difference in sound or any difference at all if I get a box that is 28"w x 12"h x 17 3/4"d. My current box is 32"w x 13"h x 12"d.

Some of my friends and people online told me that there won't be much of a difference, some said my sound would improve, and some told me to go ported. I'd go ported but I don't know a whole lot about tuning and anything else about ported boxes, and I like SQ rather than SPL so I'd afraid if I went ported I'd be disappointed. I was gonna buy a box off another board member here but I don't have enough room in my trunk. I can probably squeeze a box that is 34" wide, 14" tall, and depth isn't a problem.

I know my current box is tiny for those CVR's, but would that bigger box make the SQ improve? I'd like to get more  opinions of people who know their stuff.

thanks in advance.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
Post the model number and a link to specs for those subs.  Also the number of subs that will use the box.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
I have a CVR12 in a slot ported enclosure built to the specs that Kicker recommends for it in the manual and I am very happy with it.
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Stevedart: I'll be using 2 12's, the '04 model I think. Before they made the ugly chrome ones.

The specs in the booklet that came with the subs say...
Box for CVR's? - Last Post -- posted image.           

There's a crappy drawing of what it shows in my booklet. I'm just curious if the 17" depth box will sound better than my current 12"depth box. Or if I need something with even bigger depth.

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

Very little difference to be heard if any at all.  The new box size is barely more than the old one in the realm of the leeway in box sizing that KIcker recommends.  You could add another 6 or 7 cubic feet for those two subs and then you would notice an appreciable improvement in the low end response.  Just build the box as large as will fit your available space and brace it accordingly (larger expanses of baffle surface areas require more internal bracing).  You could go as high as 9 cu ft sealed for this pair of subs. 

See http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/CompVRTechManualV2_1.pdf

Look at the response curves shown for the VR12, which show two curves with cubic feet for one woofer.  The peakly curve is with 1 cu ft and the flatter curve is with 4.6 cu ft.  Wherever your box size ends up to be will be proportionally between those two responses.  As you can see, the larger enclosure increases efficiency (takes less amp power), and has a flatter response through the sub range while providing deeper sub bass.  That is SQ.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know much about boxes and the cubic feet, etc. If buying a box was my only option, what deminsions should I look for? Or is the only way to get the right size box is to build one? I just wanna know what size to look for to get the best sound if I can't build my own.

eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone?
stevdart 
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

Learn this much, it's a must:

• Cubic volume is three dimensions, width X height X depth
  • In inches, 12 X 12 X 12 (1 foot square at 1 foot deep) = 1728.
  • Box dimensions are given in inches, so you will find total cubic inches of volume by multiplying the three factors.
  • Total cubic inches is converted to cubic feet by dividing by 1728.  There are 1728 cubic inches in one cubic foot.

Measure the maximum space a box could possibly occupy in your car and write the three dimensions on paper.  You are using two subs so you are looking for a box with two chambers.  In choosing a sealed box for these subs you can choose any box that fits into the available space (you have indicated that there is at least the minimum required space).  And read again my previous post.

For better help, buy your products from a local retailer.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic