icon

Which ABS sheet do I need?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cali_pilot 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

I need to make a custom trim ring for my double din deck and the area surrounding the opening has a slight curvature to it.  I need to know which ABS sheet will be better to work with since I will need to bend it a bit to shape it to the dash.  The only sheets I've found so far are 1/8 and 3/16.  What should I use.  Here's what my dash looks like and you will see that I already had a trim ring made but I was not satisfied with the way it came out so this time I want to do it myself.  From the picture it looks OK but from up close you can tell that there is still about a 1/8 inch gap between the trim ring and the deck.  What's up with this 30k max picture size? 

Which ABS sheet do I need? - Last Post -- posted image.

2011 Ford F-150 Super-Crew FX4
HU: Pioneer AVIC-Z1
Fronts: Infinity Kappa 682.9cf
Rears: Infinity Kappa 682.9cf
Amp: Profile AP1040
Sub: Pioneer TS-SWX251
Cali_pilot 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Somebody here's gotta know a bit about ABS.
2011 Ford F-150 Super-Crew FX4
HU: Pioneer AVIC-Z1
Fronts: Infinity Kappa 682.9cf
Rears: Infinity Kappa 682.9cf
Amp: Profile AP1040
Sub: Pioneer TS-SWX251
Sessland 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know about ABS, but if you want to post larger pictures you'll have to use a service like photobucket and post the link.
Most of the trim rings and things of that nature that I've seen have been fabricated using wood/fiberglass/bondo and then painted or upholstered.
It has nothing to with your question, but it might be another alternative if you can't get your ABS needs satisfied.
Good luck
TCalYen 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
I concur... I've worked with abs many times.  For anything that involves a curve I would use mdf, a jigsaw, and a bunch of sandpaper.  Forget the abs.
TCalYen
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

IF, if, did I say "IF" I were to use ABS for that, being you only need a slight curvature, I would use the 3/16 if you have acceptable clearance depth.  The thickness would be more supportive and yet pliable enough to carefully manipulate a radius with it for your curvature.  If not, and you still require ABS, use the thinner, but just for a facial covering while you utilize other means for support / structure purposes.  Now, if you want the ABS trim ring/panel and the face of the double DIN unit to look as if its one piece.... 

JD

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2006 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

If you have zero luck perfecting the curvature, use the 1/8" and keep it straight. Scuff it up really good and use it as a surface to apply some bondo to. You should be able to cut the abs into the right rectangular shape for the trim ring, apply the bondo to the front and sand it down to the required shape. A coat of texture paint and color matched paint over top and you are done. It is far easier to sand bondo to the shape you need as compared to trying to bend abs and keep it the right shape. You should be able to tape off the surrounding areas, keep the cd player removed and start applying the bondo to get the required shape, this of course is much easier to do with the bezel out of the car.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
TCalYen 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2006 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  

I'll say it again... especially if you only need a slight curvature... why the heck would you use abs as opposed to mdf or some other medium... it just doesn't make send.  Take a look at this pic... the trim ring around the lcd is mdf.  I did it this way so that I would just have to replace the trim ring if the lcd went bad and I didn't want to use the same on.  The next pic is of some switch panels.  I used abs for these because of the mounting depth of the switches.

http://www.unifiedcustoms.com/ucustoms/Proposal/Proposal%20Pages/audio_video/cc88.JPG

http://www.unifiedcustoms.com/ucustoms/Proposal/Proposal%20Pages/audio_video/cc86.JPG

TCalYen
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

In reference to TCalYen, I will also ditto and quote myself as well...."IF, if, did I say "IF" I were to use ABS for that".  I would ultimately not use ABS for what you need to perfect the panel you are fabricating.  I second the use of Masonite™/MDF/pressed fiber media to fabricate the component for the curved surfaces you want. 

The use of a Dremel® with a neverending supply of bits you can buy for them will allow you to quickly shape the panels curves.  Also for long convex or concave surfaces, you can either use a dowel with your desired raduis, or a routered section of a wood block with sandpaper secured, you can sand a long surface of Masonite™/ MDF / pressed fiber media to the contour you want.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic