icon

alternator whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ushank 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

Double ground your battery andd try installing a noise filter on your Pioneer AVIC, and that should solve the rest of the noise.  I cant' tell you which brand filter to use because I haven't used many only (1) in a rare last resort deal. Any brand should work.  Remember you get want you pay for as for as filters go.

Check bad spark plug wires, ignition system all together, and  water level in battery. 

keoghzayd 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
   been having same problem if you have fixed it or gotten any good info on how to fix it let me know, my biggest problem is it was working for a month or so and then started making noise did your's do it right away?? Mine also only produces noise when engine is running it will work fine and no noise when car is in anyother position that allows radio to work, mine is a 98 jeep grand cherokee limited.
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have just run into this problem today. Running an MTX 8502 amp, Memphis PR500.1, Pioneer 780MP deck. The front speakers are MTX TXC 6.1's with X-overs. This is of course in my 68 bug.
Originally i had the MTX amp under the passanger side seat and never had any problems with Alt whine. The memphis amp was up under the front lid. Now I have both amps up front under the lid in a custom amp rack. There is 1/0 gauge wire running from under the passanger side rear seat as before up to a distro block spliting into 2x 4awg wire and going to each amp. As for the grounds I have one 2awg wire going to a distro block then spliting into 2x4awg going to each amp.
The only real differance from before is the MTX amp is now under the front lid and I had to run the RCA's to it. The RCA's are pretty well seperated from the power wires as they wrap up near teh windshield and then down the side then into the box at the front. The speaker wires are seperated by at least 2-3 inches from the power wire as well. I did the best I could to seperate them but that was as good as I could get.
My memphis amp always gave a bit of a buzz to the subs and I tried isolating it but it still buzzes so I am going to assume it's teh amp. The fronts never made a peep before until now. WHen both amps are on the buzz and ALT whine is very noticable but if the memphis amp is off I still hear the noise from the front speakers but not so much.
Could the grounds be to long and or is it bad to use a ditro block for grounds? Would running speaker wires across ground wire cause ALT whine?
I tore the thing apart once already to try and make sure the speaker wires and RCA's were as far from power wire as I could but nothing i have done seems to make much differance. I have done the Big 3 already which worked great previously but now i am at a loss. Help?
alternator whine - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
alternator whine - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
aceracer24
how did you determine ground locations? have you read the grounding stickies? did you ohm your grounds, or even better measure voltage drop? where is that 2 awg ground wire with distro-block coming from? battery? chassis?
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for replying, the 2awg is coming off a bolt that I had originally used for the memphis sub amp. The bolt is used to hold a thick clip to the body which holds the gas tank down. I sanded the clip with sand paper and sanded the area that the clip and bolt go to.
I have read the ground stickies and no I have not checked for voltage drops or OHMs. I don't have any device right now to measure anything.
I just came back from isolating the MTX amp. That is the one powering my X-over and TXC 6.1's. Obviously that is the one you can hear the whine on. I grounded it from the original ground and attached a second body ground to it. I ran a seperate amp turn on power wire from the deck OVER the body and to the amp AND ran seperate RCA's AROUND the body and away from the amp turn on power wire. THis is the best way I can see to isolate the amp. ANyway it still wines no change at all. /shrug I am at a loss, the onlything i can think of is the power wires themselves but how could they be the cause of the wine?
Could my alarm have anything to do with the wine? I had the alarm hooked up previously and no wine but I'm just tossing idea's out there.....
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
you need a meter to prove you have good connections, and low resistance grounds! your guessing. looks like your putting time and money in your vehicle. do it right and get yourself a meter or borrow one from a friend.
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Your probably right but if i had 2 grounds from 2 differant locations shouldn't that be more then enough grounding? Also, originally the ground worked for the sub amp..same spot...shouldn't it still work now?
How much does length of the ground effect it? If it's to long would that cause ALT whine?
I will probably get a meter of some sort so don't think I am dismissing your advise. It's to late now to get one so I am just trying to come up with other possible idea's why it's whining now but didn't before. The MTX amp was grounded to the seat belt bolt when it was under the seat. I could try grounding it there again to test if that gets rid of the noise but it's a long way from the amp which is also why I ask if length will cause this. I could even try and run a ground from teh battery if this would help but as before, length is an issue.
EDIT:Something else I neglected to mention that might help with solving this, there is noise even with the engine off..constant noise and it's modified 2 fold when I have the memphis amp connected up. ALso, I ran a smaller 8 gauge cable (all I had that was long enough) from teh MTX amp all the way to the battery and attached to teh neg terminal, no change :(
1968 VW Beetle
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

going on a hunch...my MTX amp came with some RCA plugs that are suppose to connect to speaker out  on the deck instead of the RCA's. Then I can use the high power option. Anyway, I connected them to the amp and NO NOISE!  In my excitement I disconnected them (ran em over the car) so I could get to bed and forgot to test for ALT noise. I'm going to assume for now though that there won't be any since i have no crazy noise with the engine off.

I tried another set of RCA's already and I had previously had the RCA's hooked up when the amp was under the seat so why now the noise and not before? SInce it seems to be the RCA outs from teh deck causing me the noise....and I already have the RCA's run for the amp, is there anyway to fix this problem so I can use the RCA's I had installed previously? I really don't want to pull the rack out again unless I absolutly have to.

1968 VW Beetle
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

Well she is all hooked up and no noise including ALT whine. Still confused as to what the problem was. I did however ground the RCA's as I seen suggested someplace and although it helped alot, you could still hear whine and noise /shrug.

Could be my imagination but I think i hear what sounds like crackling every now and then through the speakers. Sorta like a short but I can never pin point it. I'm thinking it might be my mind still expecting something wrong to happen but I don't know.

1968 VW Beetle
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic