icon

Best locations for amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djray_89 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
im currently thinking of where should i situate my sub amp in my car. where do you guys think it should be installed? plus, will parking my car in hot and humid conditions damage my amps in the long run? n how do i run the relevant cables to my amp? im trying to do evrything d.i.y...
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Put it where you want it.  I have folding rear seats and my amps are screwed to the seat backs.  Just make sure it has room to breathe so it'll keep cool.  Weather will not play a big factor unless you expose your equipment to the elements- if you install it inside your car it'll be fine.  As far as running the cables, you'll want to run them behind panels and carpeting where you don't see them.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
I suggest not attaching your amplifier to your subwoofer box.  The vibrations can really screw up your amplifier.  Like geepherder said...  Make sure that your amplifier has plenty of room to "breathe."  You don't want the amplifier to overheat.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
arrow12 wrote:
I suggest not attaching your amplifier to your subwoofer box. The vibrations can really screw up your amplifier.
I've heard a lot of people say that is a myth, and that as long as the box is properly secured there should be no problems mounting an amp to it.
I've done it in the past and never had any issues.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
what car do you have?
Shaking The Neighborhood
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you mount the box extremely securely and the box is very sturdy, then mounting the amplifie on the box is fine.  No offense to djray_89, but i think he might be a beginner.  That in mind...  I wouldn't suggest that he mounts the amplifier to the sub box, but if he is really confident that the box is extremely sturdy, then he can try it if he wants.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
arrow12 wrote:
If you mount the box extremely securely and the box is very sturdy, then mounting the amplifie on the box is fine.  No offense to djray_89, but i think he might be a beginner.  That in mind...  I wouldn't suggest that he mounts the amplifier to the sub box, but if he is really confident that the box is extremely sturdy, then he can try it if he wants.
       I agree. I have been mounting amps to sub boxes for years. for myself, and at customer request. Have had no trouble or returns. As far as where you mount it is where you want it. Just remember to let it get air, or use a fan.
Big Dave
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

RE: the original question about mounting locations.  I suggest mounting an amp so that you minimize the length of expensive power and RCA cables you must run, and so that it can receive proper ventilation.  Speaker cable is cheap.

RE: mounting an amp on a subwoofer enclosure.  This can definitely cause problems if the enclosure is cheap and not well constructed so that it vibrates enough to damage the amplifier main board.  It is generally not an issue if the enclosure is properly constructed. 

Support the12volt.com
djray_89 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Im driving a Ford Laser Lynx.(year 2000 model).
im worried that if i send my car to a local stereo shop, they'll screw up the installation. you know, like leave the dash shaky and stuff. they are very prone of ripping you of too....but, after i install a HU and pre-amp in the dash, what do i do to seal up the extra opening on the HU's compartment?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

Like I said in response to your other post, your local stereo shop should have the kit and harness for your vehicle.  The kit will fill in the gaps and give you a place to mount your deck.  The harness will wire to your new radio so you can plug it into your factory harness.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic