icon

class a/b or class d?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
which of the two would be better for mids, highs, and subs for sq class a/b or class d
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Class a/b amps are far cleaner than D class amps. If you are using them for sq I would be doing class a/b for everything. I would also not run any of them at less than 4 ohms
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

Not 100% true anymore. B&O has been doing full range class D design for some years now. This year to add to the Xtant full range mono amp, we now have a number of B&O designed Eclipse full range class D amplifiers found in the XA series. Head to www.eclipse-web.com and read up on the icepower supply found in the full range class D XA series of amplifiers. I have these amps coming to me and a place just waiting for them to land to be auditioned in.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
I know that this is not written in stone anymore as Xtant has had their D class full range on the market for 3 years now as well. But to 99.99 percent of the population that arent gonna be using this gear This is gonna become a bigger factor in the future but I didnt think it was something that I needed to explore yet. But once again there you are keeping me on the strait and Narrow. Thanks Dad :)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Class D and T full-range amps are becoming more common all the time as the better HF filters get cheaper.  

Rob, are the "icepower" designs class D or are they Tripath class T?

Support the12volt.com
jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
what is the tripath class t amps
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

jayson358 wrote:
what is the tripath class t amps

http://www.tripath.com/tech.htm

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn, ICEPower is B&O proprietary, and the "Class T" is TriPath proprietary.
The ICEPower amps are AWESOME sounding, and will do very well in nearly any application. I also like the class T stuff, but it's not nearly as available as the ICEPower. (I think, as an experimenter, you can actually GET TriPath stuff, where ICEPower is absolutely no-go.) I believe Panasonic (or one of the members of the Matsushita family) was supposed to have had a TRUE 70 x 4 deck this year. Have not seen it on the market yet, but it used TriPath modules, and the demo model I saw at CES 2005 sounded REALLY good - for deck power.
Class T is just another "Digital" class of amplifier, implemented a bit differently. Check out TriPath here... That page gets you the most current stuff, and a little bit deeper info can be found here...
TriPath is claimed to be more efficient than ICEPower, but the ICEPower is WAY better reviewed... Better sounding devices, better overall specs, too... Here's the ICEPower website.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ah, thanks for the link.  So "ICEpower" is a type of class D topology.  Interesting.  I thought it was an application of Tripath chips.  More research ahead for me, I see... 
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic