icon

Best Use of Sound Damp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95cat 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

Hi I recently was looking for some ways to remove the rattles through out the car. At first everything sounded perfect, now when the bass hits it seems everything in the car shakes.

At first I went to the local stores and the dude was trying to get me sucker into buying one of those dynamat trunk kits !$175!! Which i found out to be way too expensive. I ended buying a pair of the speaker kit. Which is roughly 12"x12" two sheets. Now I`m wondering  where is the best way to use these.

The spots I thought of were alongside the rear 6x9s, which are on the side of the seats in a plastic enclosure. Can dynamat be put on plastic?

I also thought maybe put them inside the hole of rear 6x9s on the inside body.

Which of these are any other ways would make use of the dynamat?

95 Mercury Cougar
Eclipse HU
12" Memphis m3
Memphis 1000.1d
RF Power 6x9
audiokid1 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
Dynamat can be put on just about anything.  You never stated what type of vehicle you have, or whether you have subwoofers or not.  As for $175 for a trunk kit, thats pretty steep.  I usuallt charge my customers around $200 for an Extreme bulk pack which is 36 square feet.  My opinion, you can't use too much of the stuff.  I am up to 5 bulk packs so far, with carpet padding filling empty voids in the car. The road noise is still bothering me a little, but I have very few panel vibrations.
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe I am miss reading, you say that you used to not have rattles and now you do? What this tells me is that things are vibrating loose. Dynamat may help in some cases but if things are rattling loose the best way to fix that is to check all your nuts and bolts and make sure they are good and tight. Not saying you shouldn't use some sort of sound deadener but you should find the rattles first.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
I actually find the spray on sound deadner or ruberized undercoating is what works best on plastic panels. I usually use dynamat on metal surfaces in the car in the doors, side panels floor and roof.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
If nuts and bolts are loosening up than use some thread lock...if you have a car or sedan trunk you can apply some silicon sealer or chaulk inbetween the trunk lid and the trunk lid skeleton. This is help some.
smurphalurph 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
ive had some bad experiences with that myself... i guess the bolt for my seat belt cover on the driver side had come out one day when i had noticed a cop dead on my ***. i wasnt wearing my seatbelt either. so when i pulled the seatbelt down. (trying to do it as fast as i could) i heard a loud snap and the cover smacked me right in the head. luckily i didnt get pulled over but that bold was no where to be found.   Moral of story tighten your bolts down good
When you do things right, people won't realize you've done anything at all.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Damn, that could have been worse, what if you discovered your brakes were out and knew you would be colliding into something soon and went to buckle up and no "buckle" was to be found.
You would be on Final Destination 4.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic