icon

Ports

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bzzben 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

I am trying to build an enclosure for my new subs.  the parameters call for a 4 inch port that is 11.75 inches long.  the problem is that I have a 99 firebird and in the box I built that will pretty much hit the opposite wall.  someone told me that you could cut the port in two, so instead of having one port almost 12 inches long I could go with 2 ports about 6 inches long.  Will that work?  or will it mess up my tuning?

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
The port does not have to be straight.  You can make it turn inside the box- just figure out the port volume and go from there.  Calculate the amount of space the wood for the port will take up, so you can adjust the dimensions of your box.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
rdaudio 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
if you do that you will tune your box vety diffrent since now instead of aprox. 12.57 sq inches of port surface you will now have over 25 sq inches and shorting it to six each you would have tuned that box really high. make your port a slot port instead 4 inch port is 12.57 sq and if its to long at 11 or 12 inches make it L shaped and there you go. make sure your box size takes the port and woofer displacement into consideration before you build. at our shops we always tryed to put sealed box woofer in them cars it was just alot easier
Revolution Design Audio
bzzben 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
okay so here is another question on the whole port thing,   do I need to go with exactly what the manufacturer says or can I use something a little different?  here's an example, audiobahn says to tune the subs to 40 hertz, using the port calculator on this site it says that if I use a 2 inch port instead of 4 inches in diameter it will be a lot shorter.  is this a good idea, or a bad idea? 
rdaudio 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
go by audiobahn- ported boxes are touchy and to big or small of a port will change the tuning alot and you may create a box were your subs unload and destroy them selves very quickly. say the sub can handle 400 watts rms but in a uncorrect box they may only bandle 200 watts before they reach there limits. if the box they suggest does not fit in your car you might call them and see if they will design you a box that fits. and if not look for a small sealed type sub. you can holler at me in 40 some days we have a whole line of woofers and amps coming out the product will be avl. soon and the web site will be up in around 30 days. if you have no luck with them designing you a box email me the perameters and how much space you have to use and i will use my box building program to design you a box that will work. revolutiondaudio@yahoo.com
Revolution Design Audio
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

bzzben wrote:
using the port calculator on this site it says that if I use a 2 inch port instead of 4 inches in diameter it will be a lot shorter.  is this a good idea, or a bad idea? 

The consideration for port opening area is the factor called "port noise".  A two inch round opening can never be used for subwoofer use;  in fact, a 4" port is cutting it close for most of the subs available now.  When the port opening is too restrictive for the volume of sound, it issues noise that interferes with the box resonance sound.

You can follow the advice given above in changing it to a slot port, but bear in mind that the wall that separates the port from the air in the box is intruding on that air volume...which means that the box air volume got that much smaller.  A thin-type PVC tube will take up the least amount of box air displacement.  Buy some PVC and a 90 degree elbow.  Assemble the port so that it fits into the box with the 90 degree bend turning the port along the back wall.  Be sure to leave at least 3 to 4 inches of space, if measured straight out from the end of the port, to any partition, wall or the speaker itself.  Cut the port length with a pipe cutter after measuring through the center of the port tube from the front, or flanged end, of the port to the rear opening inside the box.  A steel flexible measuring tape will give accurate results here.  And remember that the given 4" diameter is inside dimensions, not the OD of the port tube.

If the tube you use differs at all from 4" ID, use the calculator and input the actual ID of your port to find the proper length to use to achieve the same tuning frequency.  It is also a good idea to re-measure and calculate the net air volume of the box at this time.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic