icon

Din.5 security box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jkirkku 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
So I still havent done anything to my wrangler, and mounting a stock deck with good sound adds up. I was wondering if something like this existed:
A metal din and a half box with a flip up face and single din mounts. My thought was a metal box with enough holes for heat but enough metal for strength. the face motor would be wired to an ignition relay. The ignition in on the radio would have a delay. When you turned on the car the face would open and then the cd player would flip out(like a kenwood excellon) or turn on. This could work with dvd players or cd players. If you mounted it to the metal in the dash with lock tite on allen bolts its would be hard to get into, not impossible, but harder. Plus it would look like a blank faceplate from outside.
does this exist? If so what is it called so i can search for it.
Thanks in advance.
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
some one made somthing like that. i saw it in car stero mag of some sort. his was not motorized though but had a factory radio face cut off and jsut pushed it on. so it look liek th efactory radio was there.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't seen anything like that.
But you might want to take a look at a marine radio mount. They are not meant to be theft-resistant, but maybe you could reinforce it, or at least it will give you some ideas of how to make something on your own.
jkirkku 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Okay so I modified the idea some. no more electronics, more like a "simple" lock box. I know the paint sucks, but it should give you an idea.
Din.5 security box - Last Post -- posted image.
Okay so I know it sucks but im not an artist... try to stick with me!
Black--Basic frame made out of metal. Has holes to allow heat to escape but still very solid. Same/similar size to stock radio frame.
Red-Din mount to mount aftermarket radio.
Green-Faceplate. Also metal, .5" to .75", basically thick enough to install the keyed Lock(purple), and clear the aftermarket deck.
Blue are hooks and notches. The two on each side slide down. This is beacause it would be hard to get the leverage to hit this hard enough to break the lock from below(because of shifters and console). if you hit it from the top at a downward angle these stops would help save the lock. if you do get enough downforce from the bottom the flat inserts/notches will hellp the lock. They also help with aligment.
Installation-would be similar to stock radio. You should use lock tight and allen bolts when mounting the frame(or spot welds) to help deter thefts.
Since the frame is metal, and if it's mounted right, it should be able to deter thiefs quite well well. I think it would be easier for me to mount and lock a faceplate than to take one with me. The plane black face will also give some deterrance.
Anybody think this would work, be nice, or be possible to build?!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic