icon

05 magnum, jl amps cut out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scarabuss10 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
i have the jl audio e6450 6 channel amplifier and it does the same exact thing. when i turn the volume up to around 15 or 16 it starts cutting out. it cuts out for less than a second and then comes back and it keeps going in and out until you turn the volume down. i also have it grounded to the battery with a gold plated stinger terminal. i am also running a jl 1000/1 on 4 jl 12w3v2 and i have no problem with this amp. i upgraded to a 200 amp alternator and 3 yellow top optima batteries. so i don't think i am lacking in power and the ground to the battery is short and secure and from the battery to the amp is short and secure so i think that it is a poor design on these new amps that jl has put out. they just don't size up in any way to the slash series amps.
saleensean 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

i just checked all my connections and all were tight.  the amps are grounded to the battery using jl audio battery terminals.  i disconnected the 1800d wich took the subs out completely and tested just the 4300.  still shuts down at higher levels.

could this be caused by the low line output, would a different head unit solve this, could this be the speakers i'm using.  this is starting to annoy me badly.  i have all this nice equipment that isn't working correctly.

scarabuss10 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  

NO DON'T CHANGE YOUR SPEAKERS I THINK THE AMP NEEDS CHANGING. IN FACT THAT IS WHAT I AM DOING THIS WEEK. THE REASON WHY I SAY DON'T CHANGE THE SPEAKERS IS BECAUSE I TRIED ANOTHER AMP ON MY SPEAKERS AND IT WORKED PERFECT. SO I AM GOING TO GET THE JL AUDIO 300/4 SLASH SERIES AMPLIFIER. MY FRIEND HAS THIS AMP AND I TRIED IT ON MY SPEAKERS AND IT WORKED PERFECT AND IT SOUNDED CLEAR AND LOUD. YOU CAN PICK THEM UP ON EBAY FOR AROUND $300.00-$350.00. AS FOR THE E6450 IT WILL BE ON EBAY THIS WEEK BACK UP FOR SALE.

punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Where are you guys at on this problem?  I have a customer with a magnum that is having the same problems.  I have gone through a kenwood 9102d amp, Alpine MRD-M605 and now a PDX 1000 and he says it still shuts off at higher volumes.  He too has a 2006 magnum.  I did not run ground right to the battery but it is firmly grounded.  Maybe I'll check for a voltage drop, its about the only thing I haven't done yet.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Well that may be a problem. Upgrade the big three?
datspeed77 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Are all these Magnums running a LOC?  If so, maybe the signal is getting clipped before it hits the amp.  Maybe that's why the amp is getting hot.  Just a thought.  Maybe go to an adjustable LOC, put it on a RTA to make sure there's no clipping.
semi-hemi 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

punkbastard wrote:
Where are you guys at on this problem?  I have a customer with a magnum that is having the same problems.  I have gone through a kenwood 9102d amp, Alpine MRD-M605 and now a PDX 1000 and he says it still shuts off at higher volumes.  He too has a 2006 magnum.  I did not run ground right to the battery but it is firmly grounded.  Maybe I'll check for a voltage drop, its about the only thing I haven't done yet.

I am running a MRD-M605 and a MRF-M345 off the stock battery and 160 amp alternator with no problems.  Both the + and - are directly off the battery.  Had the Kenwood DDX-7017 up to 30 of 35 vol for a sound comp for 2 consective 30 sec runs. (Hit 141.1 peak with 136.8db average).  Oh yeah 05 Magnum SXT. 

KENWOOD:DDX-7017 DVD Monitor
ALPINE:PKG-1000 10" Overhead DVD Monitor
ALPINE Speakers: SPS-080A, SPS-170A, SPS-690A, MRV-M345, MRD-M605 TREO: SSi 12.44
http://members.cox.net/david.a.heath/
scarabuss10 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
i installed my new jl audio 300/4 today and it works and sounds great. i guess it was the amp after all. i upgraded my alternator and the wire from the alternator to the battery with 4 gauge but i did not upgrade the ground wiring. the alternator instructions did not say anything about that. so i am going to go do that right now. i would rather be safe than sorry. that may have been the reason for the other jl audio amp cutting out. i don't know but i am sure glad this other amp solved the problem. good luck guys i hope ya'll find the problem.
saleensean 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
did you notice a difference after changing the amp or after upgrading the alt and wiring?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic