icon

What do you guys think of this setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

I'm going to be upgrading my equipment soon and I was wondering what you guys think of the new ideas.

Current set up:

Pioneer DEH-6 (Cheap HU from Wal*Mart)
Pioneer TS164P 6.5" speakers front & rear (Cheap speakers that came with the HU)
2 12" Kicker CVR's
JBL GTO1201.1 (787wmrs @ 4ohms)
Audiopipe 4ga wires
New system ideas:
Pioneer P880PRS
Boston Acoustics Pro60 (fronts only. Rears will be empty)
Kicker ZX350.2 (amp for bostons)
1 12" JL Audio w6v2 (in a sealed enclosure)
Kicker ZX400.1
Kicker 1/0 & 4ga wires

Now for the new set up I'm mainly going with a SQ set up than just "loud" bass. The CVR's and amp are a nice combo but my taste is changing and I want more of a "cleaner" system. I want the mids & highs to be nice and crisp and the bass, I want it to thump but not in a loud way. I don't care about people hearing my system from a mile away, I kinda grew out of that, heh. If people have to hear my system (Which any system people can hear you) I want my highs to be nice and clean and loud in a good way. I want the midbass to sound good inside (don't care about outside) and for the bass I want it to blend in with the boston midbass and highs, I don't want anything to drown out. If any of that makes sense.

The only problem I'm worried about is getting 1 w6 and finding out that it's not good enough. Which I'm sure 400wrms from a sub that's known for great SQ will please me, but I don't want to get 2 w6's and be in the same position I am in now with the CVR's. Sometimes it's hard to enjoy music on the CVR's, it gets annoyingly loud. I would go to a local shop and test out the w6's but no one around here sells JL Audio. It's mostly MTX, Lighting Audio, Alpine, KIcker or Pioneer. I was never impressed with MTX, Pioneer, or Lighting Audio, but I was gonna get a Type R sub but changed my mind.

Think I'm in the right position achieving my goal with that set up, or should I get 2 w6's for what I'm aiming for? What do you guys think? Money isn't a problem but I don't wanna spend over $2,000. Which includes stuff to make the box, deadener for the trunk and doors.

Thanks

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
The W6's are wonderful sound quality woofers and the new 400.1 will power that sub no problem. One W6 will do perfectly for a SQ setup and will get quite loud if needed.
Also, the Bostons for the front stage with the 350.2 amp will do very nicely. I am a Boston fan myself. Those Boston Pros will blow those Pioneers away..You'll like.
I think you will be very happy with your new setup...peace.
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go with that set up for sure.

Anyone else have any opinions?

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
What vehicle is all this going into?
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
What do you think would happen if you were to switch the Pioneer head for an Eclipse..........
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

It'll probably go in a 97 Saturn SC1, but I'm looking to get a newer/better car so that set up will probably be for the newer car. Just depends on how things work out.

As for the Eclipse HU's, in my opinion they're ugly. Something about them makes it hard on the eyes. I know they're a high brand and well respected, but I like to have a good HU that is also nice looking. Maybe it's just me. I love how the Alpine HU's look, which I was thinking about getting the 9856 but decided to try out the new Pioneers since they seem to be getting a lot of good feedback.

Other than the HU, how does it look? Would that set up blend in nice all together to give me great SQ and cleaner bass?

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic