Releasing Agents

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
downes 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

OK,

So I should be starting my project in a couple of weeks, theres one or two things im not to sure of,one of them as the title entails is using a releasing agent, when you have the whole area foiled and taped over tp make a mould of , do you he put on the releasing agent and then start to glass over it? and if not , do I coat the mould in resin and let it cure and then coat it again in resin and start to glass over it? or do it all together ie* resin and glass while tis wet, apply 2 coats let it cure etc.. 2 layers again. Also when mixing resin I just measure out the rite amouts of MEXP and mix to resin? Is that about rite?

As for the woodworking area of it I think I should be fairly fly with that (5 years of wood tech shall finally come in useful)

If you could just help me with those general questions it'd be a great help

Will post plenty of pics of the whole project.

Thanks!!!

crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
if you are using foil there is not really any need for a release agent, hoiwever the foil will most likely stick to the back side of your shell...
turtle wax and cooking spray are both efective release agents you can find lying around the house..no need to go buy expensive Proper release agents..
after you let the cooking spray/ turtle wax set for about 20 minutes or so you can begin glassing, the size and shape of the piece will determine where to start...if there is upside down portions i would begin there, as they will be the hardest to do, there are a couple threads on how to do it sucessfully though..then i would do any vertical areas and finish on the floor areas, as excess resin will run down to there any way you may as well use it...
again depending on size of the piece...i would say two layers is good for the first course..if it is small enough you maybe able to squeeze out three though...
three good solid layers is bare minimum for breaking the mold out..four would be better...you stand less risk of warping,
apply a very thin layer of resin to the foiled area..let it stand for a couple minutes..if you mixed the resin well it will strat to get tacky...now you can slap up the mat and with a stbbing poking motion apply just enough resin to wet out the piece, be careful not to add to much resin as it will get heavy and sag on you..
best of luck enjoy your time in the fiberglass world..
Fiberglass Guru.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
This should be made a Sticky. That is my vote anyway.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Cougar's laid it out pretty good there. I concur, good sticky!
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic