icon

2001 saturn sl2 remote start problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sykoaudio 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if maybe anyone could help me. I have an 01' Saturn SL2 with an Autopage RS-725 Alarm/Remote Start. I had it "professionaly" installed at a dealer near me. The problem though is with the remote start function, they used a bypass module (made by autopage) for the Passlock II system and wired the remote start according to the wire diagram for that system. The vehicle would start and then it would die, they then rewired it according to the diagram for a Passlock I system and the vehicle started and stayed running, but if the brake pedal or hood pin switch was pressed the vehicle would not shut off. Then one guy had an idea to wire it another way without consent from the shop owner and it caused the alarm brain to start smoking and therefore become inoperable. They are in the process of getting me a new alarm. Does anyone have any clue as to how the remote start should be installed? I had purchased a DEI 555L bypass module but they did not want to use is as they did not sell it to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
If you are having a shop install this unit....and they are guessing, or shooting in the dark to try and remedy a problem. AND THEY SMOKED A BRAIN....find another shop.  These kids don't sound too smart. That could have been your car smoking.....!
sykoaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
believe me, i have given that much thought!! the only problem with that is i would probably have to pay another installation charge, and that is not cheap. the shop i went to charged $475 installed (normally $675 installed) and i have only paid $200 of that because of the problem with the remote start. the brain functions somewhat though, it will arm and disarm but no longer controls the door locks, except with the key in the on position or running if i lock the doors the driver door will lock then immediately unlock, the remote start harness is of course disconnected. i keep getting the excuse that he is not sure how to get the problem resolved and he doesnt seem to be making much effort. seems like he really doesnt want to try. i think it has something to do with the bypass module that he is using but try telling that to a shop owner... i just would like to know how to fix the problem without having it come to some rediculous amount of money.
shaip99 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 4:09 AM / IP Logged  

i would have them remove the unit and refund the install as they never installed it properly and go to someone else and dont try yo save the 200 bucks by having someone inexperienced do it(this is not ment to sound condecending)

if they dont threaten to go to the better business burue that should make it easier

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd
all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive
music."-Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
Definetly get  your money back and go somewhere else. Everyone has a brain fart sometimes but to have that  many problems in a row on a saturn is not good. It sounds like you have been very patient with them they should return your money no problem.
12voltmaster 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
1-You have problem with you remote car-strater or you have problem with your wiring remote car-starter installation.
2-If you vehicule does not STOP when you press the brake or if you open the hood, it not a problem caused by the bypass module. Bypass as no relation with this feature ...
3-Have you try to START vehicule with the key and when the car is running, with the key press the START button on your remote starter (ILDE MODE). Check in you dash board if you SCURITY LIGHT turn on. If yes, is possible you have problem with your bypass or installation of your bypass module. Turn OFF the key at ignition and check if the vehicule stay running. If yes, propably your remote car-starte is OK.
5-Before you purchase or replace you bypass or your remote car-starter you need to know were is comming from the problem ... Do try to replace one of this part because you supose it is the problem.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
I've done a few of the Saturn SLs, and as far as I recall, they've ALL had Passlock II......the older ones didn't have any Passlock at all.
Overall, those cars are not difficult-----easy to disassemble, easy to access the necessary wires, and the car's wiring is simple straightforward.
GM's Passlock system is complex, but it's been around for nearly 12 years now, and any experienced installer shouldn't have much trouble dealing with it.
By the way, the differences between Passlock I and II have NOTHING to do with the brake wire that's going to the remote start........they either knocked the connection loose by accident, or if they undid it on purpose, um, well, I have no idea why they'd do that.
You should either A: have them remove everything and refund all your money, or B: leave the car there and tell them you want them to make EVERYTHING right before you pick it up.
If he refuses to refund your money, and you paid by credit card, call your credit card company and see if you can contest the charges..........usually there is a provision to do that, when you pay for goods/services that were not performed.
sykoaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
well i have decided to go up there tomorrow and have him remove everything and refund my money.  I found a shop in Dallas that will install an autopage rs-860 for 350.00 and said nothing about there might be a problem with the remote start function. This whole thing has been going on since the middle of April and nothing else has been done. I have been up there several times since then and keep getting the excuse that he hasn't found the information he has been looking for to get the problem resolved and don't think he has been looking for it either. I think I have been more than patient with this whole thing. Like I said in my original post he was going to charge me only $475 for the rs-725 installed instead of his normal $675 and he normally charges around $800 or so for the rs-860 installed. And I also got on the Autopage website to see if he really is an authorized dealer and they don't show his shop on there website.So I will get this thing taken care of tomorrow and hopefully have a functioning alarm.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
Just FYI some dealers are authorized to sell/install products from manufactures that are not lidted as authorized dealers on their site. They purchase through a distributor until there volume is high enough to go direct with the manufacture. Good luck with the remote start/alarm.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic