icon

2 channel Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95cat 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  

I`m looking to power a pair of RF Power speakers rated at 75rms 150peak.

I picked these up for dirt cheap and have been looking for an amp to power them.

So far I've found a few I'd like to get some opinions about. I`m looking to drop around $250 for an amp so any other suggestions would be appreciated. I`m also wondering if 200watts is too much for these speakers to handle?

Phoenix Gold XS-2500, Us Amps-200x, JL Audio 300/2, Eclipse XA200, Boston GT-22

95 Mercury Cougar
Eclipse HU
12" Memphis m3
Memphis 1000.1d
RF Power 6x9

placebo-pete 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

Hi There Cat95

Hope I Can Help

I will start with the basics just in case if your not familiar with car audio otherwise skip the first paragraph.

Now first off  i'll start by saying that The figures I would recommend you be most interested in would be RMS figure these are the True handling power figures unlike Peak Power figures ( Figures measured on a very good day with the wind behind them) if you know this already dont be offended.

You would find all of the amps you are looking at are fairly suitable but would find the amplifiers like the Boston, Us Amps, Eclipse,And Phoenix Gold would be slightly  underpowered and as a result if you turned the gain up all the way you would more than likely have distortion due to your amps clipping. The JL Audio amp is Much more capable of driving the RF speakers than the other amplifiers and as long as you werent careless and turned the amp up to full gain would find gave a desirable performance.

Only thing is then you would find yourself wanting to upgrade your speakers to get more 2 channel Amp - Last Post -- posted image.

I do have one recommendation and that would be a JBL GTO 75.2 this is a 2 Channel 90 Watt RMS amp @ 4 Ohms And performs very well with a very good sound, I am speaking from personal experience as I have had one for two years now and it has taken serious abuse and never given a days trouble.

This is a  brief guide and is only the tip of the iceberg so if you are looking for more information on  the real nitty gritty stuff I would recommend  the car audio section in this forum.

Hope I've been able to help I look forward to your reply.

Cheers

Placebo-Pete

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Huh?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
I smell a JL dealer.
That Eclipse amp would be a SPECTACULAR choice.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
placebo-pete 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys

First of all let me apologise Im Sorry guys2 channel Amp - Last Post -- posted image.

As for being a JL dealer thats an imposibility but I made the mistake of thinking what worked well  in Europe worked well in North America and I admit it I was wrong

Any chance you guys could forgive me?

I'm only new to the forum and dont want to make any enemies

Placebo-Pete

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
No feathers ruffled here... Around here, sometimes we just type what we think, before we think ABOUT what we are typing... generally speaking it is (oh, 95+% of the time) all meant in good humor, and should be taken that way, whenever possible.
Seriously, though, welcome to the forum!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
placebo-pete 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks haemphyst

Seriously though I dont know about Here in North America but the JBL Amps in Europe were hugely popular and I installed many units without a problem and they pack quite a punch too.

I'd really appreciate if you could maybe offer some advice on what seems to be recommended/Popular

It's kinda hard to moving  into a new neighbourhood

I'm only just finding my feet2 channel Amp - Last Post -- posted image.

Cheers

Placebo-Pete

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
No feathers ruffled from me either, welcome to the forum and thanks for your info. What part of the neighbourhood are you in?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

Bottom line is this:  you can power a pair of 75 watt RMS subs with just about anything.  200 watts should be fine.

And 95cat...work on that sig line.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
placebo-pete 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

HI Forbidden

Thanks for the welcome.

this is a great forum with guys like you and haemphyst around, there is a real sense of team spirit.

I'm currently in Toronto Ontario at the moment might get myself accross to BC one day hopefully although coming from small places such as England and Ireland I didnt ever realise how big Canada is but I look forward to exploring it.

looking forward to talking in the future

Cheers

Placebo-Pete

P.S If theres any questions you can MSN me I left it on my profile

Once again

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic