icon

LED Fog Lights on Riding Mower?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cohocarl 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

I've recently purchased a zero turn mower which does not have headlights and would like to mount some fog or driving lights on it.  I rarely mow past sundown, but I have had to use the headlights on my old mower on occasion.  The electrical system on my mower may be able to handle some 35 watt fog lights, although I was wondering if some LED fog lights like these:  LED fog light may give off enough candlepower for the occasional mowing.  They wouldn't have to be aircraft landing lights, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with lights like these and if they thought they may be good enough to do the job. 

Any other ideas?  I like the idea of the LED lights due to less power consumption and they may be able to survive the vibration better.

Thanks,

Carl

cohocarl 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

I don't think my link works in my first post, but here's a pic.  12 led's in each light.

http://webpages.charter.net/clarkmciv/ledFog.jpg

dodgeram_led 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
I actually had a set exactly like theese and I would have to say that they give off more of a dull glow than a focused beam. They probably wouldent work best for you. I would just go with 1 rubber work light (about $10 most hardware stores)
Dodge Ram Custom LED Tails, Custom Built LED Fog Lights, Red LED Lightbar, LED License Plate Lights, Custom LED underbody remote system
stealthone 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 5:31 AM / IP Logged  
cohocarl wrote:

I've recently purchased a zero turn mower which does not have headlights and would like to mount some fog or driving lights on it. I rarely mow past sundown, but I have had to use the headlights on my old mower on occasion. The electrical system on my mower may be able to handle some 35 watt fog lights, although I was wondering if some LED fog lights like these: LED fog light may give off enough candlepower for the occasional mowing. They wouldn't have to be aircraft landing lights, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with lights like these and if they thought they may be good enough to do the job.

Any other ideas? I like the idea of the LED lights due to less power consumption and they may be able to survive the vibration better.

Thanks,

Carl

I work with LED’s on (mainly police) motorcycles. The current school of thought is that standard LED technology (3mm, 5mm, and 10mm) are more to “be seen” rather than see with.
Unless you are willing to get into the more expensive and temperamental “LumiLED’s” you would get more candela per electric watt using a low wattage tractor light.
I’d be more than willing to assist you in your project if you would like. Feel free to PM me.
cohocarl 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies.  I'll stick with some 35 watt fog lights.  The charging system on the mower is 20 amp, and the battery is 365 amp (300 cca), and the only electrical usage is the starter and electric deck lift, so I think it should be able to handle a couple 35 watt fog lights for occasional use.

Thanks again for the replies.LED Fog Lights on Riding Mower? - Last Post -- posted image.

pulltotheright 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
The lights that you are looking at are probobly sufficent for lighting.  LEDs do give off pretty good light but they don't always provide excess distance or projection.  I have used lights very similar to the ones that you are looking at and have been happy with their performance.  If you look on my website www.pulltotheright.net under "special applications" I have a picture of similar lights in use.  JMC

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic