icon

custom body kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jt73 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

i would like to hear experiences if anyone has made their own body kits...what went wrong, right...etc...build pics would be fun too custom body kit -- posted image.

im not looking for someone to tell me not to do it or asking how to do it...just curious about real world experiences..if that sounds dickish, its not supposed too
thanks guys

jason

jt73 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 4:45 AM / IP Logged  
thanks...
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I'd say go for it.
I do not have any build pics right now. I am at work. But taking foam, is your best friend in assembling the different pieces since it can be cut,carved and sanded down to specs.
Depending on where it is going, molding some metallic part in there as tool or reference point for mounting comes in handy too. If you can find it, look for the install pictures of the 2003 Alpine Civic Si done by Steve Brown. It was on alpines website.
Currently they have a custom kit BMW on there done by the same guy, and there are install pics of it from start to finish, let me see if I can find the link.
BMW Sinister
Links are not working from this computer, but may for you, nonetheless that is link.
...Happy glassing
CHEERS
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
jt73 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

yes thats what i planned on using was the foam...i have a 90 plymouth laser that is being turned into a demo car...it is gutted already and getting new dash, panels, custom paint cutom graphics, wanted the body kit to be custom to go with everything else

i will take pics along the way, and unveil it when its all done

thanks for the help/advice

jt73 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
its not a bad car, only got 40k miles but has a timing belt problem that needs to get fixed
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
i have in the past molded directly off the car...or the bumpers, what ever you want to change...do it the exact same way you would basically do it for s sub enclosure then...tape everything off spray on the super77 then tinfoil...and then start you lay up...after you break the moulf off your car/ bumper you may want to make a wooden jig to hold the mounting points straight..it will undoubtably twist on you...
now you can cut and paste what ever you want into or off the old bumper/ skirt...make some foglight rings, a wide mouth opening, built in canards...what ever you want..you can use foam or wood for the add ons. (foam will be better as you can leave it in without much weight gain.) get her nice and smooth and then you can either take a copy off the front of it or you can go straight into your prep steps for paint...if you used a lot of wood for built up areas i would suggest taking a copy of it...just be carefull how thick you build things up as you may run into fitment and clearance issues...
Fiberglass Guru.
jt73 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
thanks cougar
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Man, definately keep us posted with it. I am excited.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
jt73 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
i will keep you guys updated, don't worry...last week all the moldings got pulled, this week windows all came out...its gonna get prepped on the interior(degreased, scuffed, sanded) for primer since its getting a whole new paint job and no half ass lookin doodie when its done
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

JT73!!!!!!  Its been a while someone has questioned about building body kits themselves, but then again, its been a while since Ive been on this site as well, being production has been intense lately!!!!!!!!!!  Theres SO, SO, SO, much information, different methods / ideas and so on that I / we could give you.  I would go to the front of this web-forum or site and perform a search on my name (Torquehead), CrazyoldCougar (obvious veteran in my book), or even simply "bodykits".  Check out what has already been posted, read up, get ready to be inspired, and come back and blast us with deeper questions. 

We will be waiting.....

By the way......  I wanna see cool paint!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic