icon

custom body kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
Nice. I am going to use it on a 88 BMW when the time for the project comes along.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

There you have it JT73, I knew the veterans would come out of the woodwork, and I DITTO everything they have said...all very good concepts.  "eDead" ROCKS, but I dont like applying it, so I make one my employees kids do it...LOL 

Crazyoldcougar's type of concept also provides the abilty to construct a removable component.  For example, if you used his method: Using the side of a car to make a FG skin to build from, you can incorporate fastening provisions to make that one single body panel/part removable for repair.  Of coarse it depends on the size of the component. 

Be yourself aware that every concept also has its concequences....wait, I really need to say "Pros/Cons".  If it is big and weighs alot, sure, make it permanent.  If the components are small, such as the size of simple ground effects, and are light in weight they can be easier made removable and in sections per body part.  Its also much more reasonable all the way around.  Every single fabricator are going to have thier own concept, and I can seem to already tell you are grasping your own concept.  

Good luck with the door plans by the way.

....after your first breath of Fiberglass Resin, you realize your hooked, thats when you know its in your blood to be a fabricator.   --->(Torquehead does not condone the use of any "Resin" chemical compounds for any recreational purposes other than fabrication.  If your building a body kit, speaker box, or other cool stuff up your nose, go ahead!)

torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
jt73 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  
nice links torquehead
silverfocuszx3 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the links! Reading through them now really trying to find something that shows someone making their own bumper with their own design. I have seen the site where someone makes the lip kit which is cool Now just gotta see an entire bumper get made.
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
I dont exactly recall a link in particular that shows someone building just a bumper.  Sorry if I missed that part of your request though.  Either way, the concept is the same.  Its just a matter of if you want to integrate a section into the one you have, or, buying a pre-fab to cut up and add your own fabrication to it. 
philliphamby 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

in your case it would more than likely be best to get a prefab and just add your own custom work to it. i got one frome a friend of mine that was made for a difrent car and busted all to crap for near nothing. brought it home and went to work. but if you rwaly want to get to the nittygritty and make your own from scratch. i would start by removing the bumper from the car i wanted to make the bumper for. then use wood to build a skeletion on the car its self. allowing room for your fabric and fiberglass on the sides. once you have the skeletion the way you want it then strech your fabric over it useing staples or hot glue. then look at it close cutting any holes that you will have for style or foglights and so on. and if it is the way you want it then resin the fabric let it dry. add 1 or 2 layers of fiberglass let it dry. then remove your bumper. once removed you can remove any wood that you dont want on your bumper. but remember to add your lips to bolt the bumper to the car. once you have your lips made begin to add your fiberglass in layers most bumpers have 8-10 remember to test fit along the way and not to add to much at once becouse it may warp up on you. once done bodyfill snad prep seal prime paint.

give a man a fish he will eat for a day. teach a man to fish he will eat for a lifetime.
djslack 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
This series of photos may give you some inspiration:
http://www.6park.com/enter7/messages/gvk21098.html
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic