icon

JL W7 12'', add another amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Pass the Roc 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, I currently have 1 JL W7 12" in my 1989 Oldsmobile 88 Royal Brougham.  It is being powered by 1 JL 500/1, I was wondering how much of a difference it would make if i added another JL 500/1 into the mix.  I have it fitted in the Pro Wedge sealed box. Don't get me wrong the SQ is there but the sub seems like it can put out some more SPL for me. Since the W7 can handle 750 - 1000 watts RMS i am underpowering it and i dont like the feeling, I like to do things right....                      

...  Thanks.

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

The 500/1 puts out at least 700watts

did the amp have a 'birth certificate' ?

Pass the Roc 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  

No it did not come with a certificate saying exatctly how many watts it was tested at, I bought it off some guy privately. Its nice to know they usually put out 700 though, I was thinking maybe 550 to 600 range. JL makes solid amps, so maybe adding another amp wont show that much more performance, it will just more than likely put more strain on my alternator and other components am i correct?

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe my 700 guess was a bit high. I know someone who has metered one recently. I'll look into it.
I thought about buying a 1000/1 myself. going from 500 to 1000 could only have a 3db increase, right guys?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
coppell:
Yes. Doubling the power gives a 3db rise, MAX!
99% of the time you won't hear a single freaking difference. Remember, you only use extra wattage when you exceed what your previous amp could do. Unless you're currently clipping your current amplifier, you aren't exceeding what it can do.
Unless you're competiting, moving from 500w to 1000w is just silly, imo.
Also, whenever I hear "underpowering" I smack my forehead. That stupid term was likely invented by the car audio companies themselves. You aren't going to harm your subwoofer by underpowering. And seriously, unless you are currently clipping your amplifier, adding another 12031231241234234 watts won't make a squat worth of practical difference.
If you want more SPL relative to the rest of your system:
(a) turn down the gain on your mids/highs amp (most people, for some god unknown reason, forget they can do this)
OR
(b) buy another sub. Now this will give you a 3db rise in sensitivity, which you will always benefit from (unlike adding power, which only benefits at extreme volume levels).
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Or he could go with a ported box...but the 12W7 needs a pretty big ported box correct???
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
so you're trying to tell me that if one person -- Person A -- has a JL 12W7 with a 500/1 amp and another person -- Person B -- has a JL 12W7 with a 1000/1 amp... that Person B's system wouldn't be noticably louder than Person A's? taking into acount all the other variables are equal.
somehow this doesnt seem right to me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
jettagli:
That's exactly what I'm saying. Extra power is only used if you're exceeding the power of your old amplifier.
Doubling power gives 3db more of HEADROOM, not efficiency.
If SPL on a budget is your goal, efficiency should be your game.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic