icon

jl audio 12w6v2 wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reefguy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  
has anyone wired 2 jl 12w6v2 dvc 4ohm subs. i having a bit of confusion on the jumpers, anyone advice would be great.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 5:21 AM / IP Logged  

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/7876.pdf

What's  your intended impedance load with two of these subs, 4 ohms or 1 ohm?  Use https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42 as your guide.  For the 4 ohm impedance, jumper wires are used for a series connection, then the subs are paralleled together.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
reefguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
well, i want both 2 dvc  4ohm subs wired so i get a 4 ohm impendence so my ppi a1200.2 amp runs in 4 ohm which will yield the bridged mono wattage amount, but i cannot seem to get the jumper wires correctly to get 4 ohms impedence output.  thanks for the manual i have it already, but both pics have jumper connected for 2 or 8ohms. i need final 4ohms after they are wired in series or parallel.
reefguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
too bad the jl manual only has jumper pics for 8 ohm and 2 ohm, how about 4 ohm?
reefguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

if using the second option #2 config. to get a final 4 ohm, but lets take that option 2 pic and apply it to the jl sub jumpers,

start at the right end sub. label it the (neg.)  vc1-  to  vc2+(pos) , so what happens to  vc1+ to  vc2-? so how do i appy the option 2 pic setup, to match the jumpers on the jl sub. am i missing something?

dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
Wire the jumpers as in diagram A in the manual, then negative from first sub, to negative on the second sub to negative on the amp, and positive from first sub to positive on second sub to positive on amp.
97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

reefguy wrote:
too bad the jl manual only has jumper pics for 8 ohm and 2 ohm, how about 4 ohm?

You seem to be missing the fact that you have TWO of these subwoofers (unless I read your post wrong...).  Each sub has voice coils wired in series to 8 ohms.  So you have two 8 ohm subs.  The two subs are parallel-wired to each other to make a total 4 ohm load.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

reefguy wrote:

You seem to be missing the fact that you have TWO of these subwoofers (unless I read your post wrong...).  Each sub has voice coils wired in series to 8 ohms.  So you have two 8 ohm subs.  The two subs are parallel-wired to each other to make a total 4 ohm load.

seems logical to me. Dont forgtet about the woofer configuration tool on this site.

"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
reefguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2006 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

so what you guys are says that using diagram A, even though only one jumper wire is used, the wattage still flow thru both coils?

these subs are dual 4 ohms, each coil is 4 ohms, they are wired like in diagram b (vc1- to vc2-) then ( vc1+ to vc2+) in the manual its final nominal impendence is 2 ohms(factory wired).

dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2006 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
reefguy wrote:

so what you guys are says that using diagram A, even though only one jumper wire is used, the wattage still flow thru both coils?

yes

97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic