icon

led on 120volts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sufferrar 
Copper - Posts: 190
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 blue leds that i have installed to represent when my water pump at home is on. I have 2 2 way switch , one upstairs and one downstairs. now i have an led installed on each switch. the circuit consist of a resistor and capacitor in series . i can't remember the values of the cap or the resistor. it works cool.
but here is the prob. i had a pair of windscreen washer sprayer that has led built in . it is a 7 colour led that changes colour. now i want to install this to replace the blue leds. when i hook it up only the first colour remains on and there is no colour change in the led. i have tried changing the resistor and cap values but no change.
any help?
"I'm So Loud It Hertz"
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
The problem is that your 7 color LED is using a digital timer in it, and the timing signals are interupted using the AC supply. The capacitor was never really needed in the first place. The easiest thing to do would be to get a cheap power adapter to convert the AC down to 12VDC, but that would probably be a little bulkier than what you want. You may be able to get away with using a diode or rectifier and wiring the capacitor in parallel to the series connected resistor and LED.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic