icon

Nissan Murano Headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Haku 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

Ok.. I have checked all the wiring diagrams on Alldata, Shopkey, ect...  and I cant find an easy way to always have the headlights/tailights on when the key is on.  This is my personal vehicle, and yes.... I AM LAZY!!!! and I cant turn the little switch on the steering column.  I have gotten used to having auto headlights, and when I turn the key on, regardless if its light or not,  I want them to come on.  Anyone with any suggestions... its an 2006 Murano AWD, with no daytime running lights or auto lights.  The easiest way I can see is to just power them up using relays, but maybe someone has a better solution???  Thanks in advance.

Shawn Siemens

Hak
Siemens Autostart
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
relays that be the cheapest way, tere are those auto head ligths system when it get dark out they turn your head ligths on, with that all you have to do it install the photo cell under th edash were its dark.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
good point, nouseforaname......the accessory wire will drop out when the key is in the crank position, allowing more power to start the engine.
Also take note that there are TWO accessory wires----one for the heater and one for the radio----you'll want to use the wire that has power ONLY in the RUN position........if you use the blue/white, other accessory wire, the headlights will come on even when the key is moved to "acc" to play the radio.
Also, an on/off toggle switch of some sort would be a good idea, for times when you want to idle the engine but have the lights off. Also, so when the car goes into the dealer for service, they won't realize you've modified the wiring.
Haku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

Thats the way I figuired to do it, but I would have to run a power wire for the headlights, all the way up to the front of the vehicle.  I was hoping that there was a unused wire at the bcm that I could mess with (auto input, or photo cell input).  Oh well, guess I have to do it the old fashioned way... bummer

Thanks for all the input,

Shawn

Hak
Siemens Autostart
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure if the new Muranos have HIDs or not, but if they do you would want to use an IGN power source, not an ACC to promote long bulb life  :)

You could always tap in to the data bus that runs to the BCM and trick it in to thinking that the head light switch is in the 'on' position rather then off.  Otherwise, you'll have to install some relays after the IPDM under the hood.

I've messed around with fog light control on the Nissans, it really is an overly complicated switching system they use. 

Kevin Pierson
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure if the new Muranos have HIDs or not, but if they do you would want to use an IGN power source, not an ACC to promote long bulb life  :)

Good call....one quick way to pre-maturely destroy an HID bulb. They like strong solid current input.

Haku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

You could always tap in to the data bus that runs to the BCM and trick it in to thinking that the head light switch is in the 'on' position rather then off.  Otherwise, you'll have to install some relays after the IPDM under the hood.

I've messed around with fog light control on the Nissans, it really is an overly complicated switching system they use. 

They way over did the combo switch on them.  I studied the diagrams, and cant find an easy way to fool the BCM yet.   Its just so DIYdddd to run a flipping power wire for the headlights all the way up there... I may just pull appart the IPDM, and do a little creative rewiring on the parklight, and headlight relays :) 

Hak
Siemens Autostart
KPierson 
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

It's really not all that complicated.  You need to find the output bit that corresponds to the headlights (there are 5 different outputs from the BCM).  You then need to find the input that corresponds to the headlight switch (again, there are five).  You could most likely tie the output to the input and get the results you are looking for, but I would, at bare minimum, use some sort of isolation.

They system works like a computer keyboard matrix.  If Input A is on when Output B is on then the switch is made that corresponds to that box in the matrix.  Like I said, I've done some work with the fog light switch and I have successfully extracted data from the OEM matrix, but I have  yet to try to add data back in to it. 

Kevin Pierson
Haku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

It's really not all that complicated.  You need to find the output bit that corresponds to the headlights (there are 5 different outputs from the BCM).  You then need to find the input that corresponds to the headlight switch (again, there are five).  You could most likely tie the output to the input and get the results you are looking for, but I would, at bare minimum, use some sort of isolation.

They system works like a computer keyboard matrix.  If Input A is on when Output B is on then the switch is made that corresponds to that box in the matrix.  Like I said, I've done some work with the fog light switch and I have successfully extracted data from the OEM matrix, but I have  yet to try to add data back in to it. 

I have access to the wiring diagrams that show me the input s and ouputs (wire color and pin position), and what they are for....  I however am reluctant to short and input with an ouput when dealing with a BCM.  If you have done it, let me know.   Maybe I am over analyzing it... 

Hak
Siemens Autostart
KPierson 
Posted: August 13, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

Like I said, I havn't tried it, but theoretically it should work. 

Also, like I said, if I were to try it I would isolate the signals most likely using a transistor.  Nissan has no consistancy when it comes to BCM protocols so you would have to check to see if your output goes high or low when it's active.  On my G35 coupe the output goes high when active, but on the G35 sedan the output goes low when active.  If it goes high use a 2n3904 transistor, if it goes low use a 2n3906.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic