icon

Billing for custom work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
h2oskierfl 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
Our shop is starting to take on some custom work. Boxes, door panels, consoles, etc.. My question is how to bill for such projects. I really can't go by the hour for the simple fact that it would take us longer than the other shops in town and we would be seriously under bid. Just wondering how you guys do it? Thanks.
pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
in my neck of the woods South western kansas i wish i could charge 60 an hour but i have reduced my self to 20 witch is not bad in this area make some good money it is hard to find anybody to let us do anything to fancy like fiberglass but even with these high gass prices i have been getting more requests for it lately i made a rather large project for an envoy four 10s and a 15in monitor in the middle holding 2 amps i put in time wise off and on for 3months them giving me money then i would work on it didn't want to do the work for nothing i ended up for the box alone 1000 and right now i am doing something very simple but will make better money just made a ported box for 2 10s and rounded over the edges with a router had it painted the same as the car and around the box i traced a copy of the carpet and cut a copy of it with 5/8 mdf and got it painted with a hole in the middle with the amp in it a very simple design if you put some effort into it other than waiting on paint it is a few hour project and i made 550 for all of that doesn't include subs and amp just an idea of what kind of prices i have
pmh61 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
in my neck of the woods South western kansas i wish i could charge 60 an hour but i have reduced my self to 20 witch is not bad in this area make some good money it is hard to find anybody to let us do anything to fancy like fiberglass but even with these high gass prices i have been getting more requests for it lately i made a rather large project for an envoy four 10s and a 15in monitor in the middle holding 2 amps i put in time wise off and on for 3months them giving me money then i would work on it didn't want to do the work for nothing i ended up for the box alone 1000 and right now i am doing something very simple but will make better money just made a ported box for 2 10s and rounded over the edges with a router had it painted the same as the car and around the box i traced a copy of the carpet and cut a copy of it with 5/8 mdf and got it painted with a hole in the middle with the amp in it a very simple design if you put some effort into it other than waiting on paint it is a few hour project and i made 550 for all of that doesn't include subs and amp just an idea of what kind of prices i have
zinger002 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2006 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

any profit is good profit. but y dont you look around to see what others are charging? if they are charging materials plus a 30 an hour shop rate just better them so you get buisness and still make a profit.

around here shop rates are insane so getting into the game could be golden here

zinger
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

i feel bad for you guys! how do you pay your over head while charging under 40$? i have to get 50-60$ an hour atleast plus a little on the equipment. i use to want to be nice and give people a fair shake. but i have a family and house and the bills keep coming. plus 50 an hour is really fair. but the labor rate will definitly vary depending where you are and your population #'s.

and remember when you give people a break they exspect it all the time and so do there friends. and you can bet these are the first to come back when there is the smallest of smallest of a problem and bitch or give an attiude to boot.

don't get me wrong there are the people that really do appricate the little extra's and breaks you may give. then you may get yourself a tip or real faithful customers . but they are far inbetween.

for the question... like a few others have said call around to other shops and get some quotes on the jobs you ask about. then go from there. thats what i did when i first started. then when you build up your customers and repor. then you will need to get what your worth. it will come in time. but remember you need to eat. and keeping a shop open is not easy. good luck on the new travels on the experince train.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
ashbyspannerman 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
it seems to be the same the world over, in the UK no one wants to pay for a job they can get a 'mate' to do for a drink, i'm getting £20 sterling an hour, 50 for diagnostics, over here there are a lot of people getting diagnostic work done through the back door of main dealers.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

What I have found is for custom work try to find out what it's going to cost the shop first. Cost out what it would take to build a set-up and then you will have a start point. For example I started by building a fiberglass box for two tens, then figured out how much it cost me in supplies. then added on the amp rack (cost of supplies) then wiring.

Now that you have the cost of the supplies, add that to the time it took to complete the job. (I use a simple method of time recording. Get a log book and sign in when you start and sign out when your done.) With all the hours totaled up on your "practice system" You can now look at having an estimate cost on that set up.

As an extra you now also have a box and amp rack to put on display for customers to see what they can get for the money. I have found this to be profitable for me. Just keep in mind that it does cost the shop money up front for the supplies and your time, so budget your time wisely. Also if you can keep logs on each of the cars you do it makes a great reference guide in case something happens, or if another customer want to know step by step why it costs so much, and makes great training guide for new employees.

I hope this helps, It's rough out there and any edge you can get puts you ahead.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic