icon

Sub loading

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
curtdogg 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
I am curious about loading a sub. I am currently running a JL 12w6v2 in a down-firing sealed box in the trunk of my civic. To save space in the trunk I was thinking of building a new box and puting it in the spare tire well with a new trunk floor to make it flush. My question is will the sub sound different (better or worse) going from facing the floor to facing up toward the inside of the trunk lid? Thanks in advance.
"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform." - Mark Twain
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
It might. You may want to try kinda putting it over there in your current box to see if there's not some big null at your head location up front.
There's no reason other than chance cancellation that it should be substantially different.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Personally, I would prefer a downfire over a spare tire, because it has a "smoother" feel, IMO. 
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Ya never know what it will sound like, til you move the sub there. Many times, you can just have a single sealed 10 and move it around facing different directions and hear some serious differences in how the bass sounds. Vehicles are acoustically a pain in the butt sometimes.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
curtdogg 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys. I think I will do some experimenting and see if it sounds any different firing up.
"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform." - Mark Twain
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
personaly, i don't think it will make a difference either way. up, down, side to side, as long as the internal volume of the spare tire box is the same or close to the current box there won't be alot of difference. as for cancalation, there shouldn't be any more with the sub firing up than there would be with it firing down.
I disagree. The location and frequency of nulls caused by cancellation can vary greatly based on driver location and direction.
If you don't believe me, borrow an RTA, get a buddy to move the subwoofer around while you watch the RTA and hold the mic up front. You'll see the peaks and nulls in the bass shift around right in front of your eyes.
Shoot, just move the mic a few feet and you can see the nulls shift pretty substantially (especially in the car audio environment, where we essentially sit in a VERY tiny room).
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
Installer.com has some good information regarding subwoofer positioning and cancellation. It's a long read, but good information.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
kfr01 
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
the average listener there probably won't be a huge noticable difference.
I still disagree.
Nodes from a single subwoofer in a small room (a car) are more often audible than not.
If you care about SQ you can and will hear a difference in the character of the sound.
I only mentioned the RTA so you could SEE the large changes in dips that are certainly audible to even your "average listener."
Indeed, in my opinion, if there's ANYTHING in audio (car or home) that is audible or matters, it is driver / environment interaction.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic