Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
emetick 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
i got a punch8002 series amp the info:
Punch P8002 - 800 watt 2-channel amplifier
200x2 @ 4 ohms, 400x2 @ 2 ohms, 800x1 @ 4 ohms, 12dB/oct Butterworth HP/AP/LP crossover variable 0-400Hz, RCA inputs, RCA pass thrus, cast aluminum heatsink, military spec PCB, and remote Punch Bass EQ with 0-18dB @ 45Hz. H 2.4" x W 11" x L 17.7"
now im looking for a sub for it. i was thinking something along an L7 15" kicker one running monno no clue on the box tho.   what do you guys think and recomend??
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
What are you looking for in a sub??? Budget??
Going for loud azz bass (hence the 15 L7 suggestion) or moderate clean bass that is musical??
What vehicle??? So we know how much space you have for subs
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
an L7 would be a fine choice. for SPL. be sure to get the dual 2ohm . to get a 4ohm load.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
what kind of vehicle?--the squares are nics but they have terrible sound quality--they are meant to pound and thats it.  if you want a kicker that has the beat of the squares but with a better sq, go with the new cvx--they don't come in 15's though.
If you say "I already know how", don't ask me a single question.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
emetick: I got one of those. Good amp...just don't run it at 2 ohms. It can't take the heat too long and will trip the thermal shutdown. Keep it at 4 ohms.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
emetick 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  
well for now i would put it into my wrangler, no rear seat so pleanty of room but later i would transfer it into an 03 impala. the price range is around an L7 15" price and what kind of sound im looking for is that hard hitting feel it in your heart bass not that loud sloppy one.
so an 15" LT but dual 2ohm??
you say it heats up quick on a two ohm load, i guess i would run it on 4ohm, do you have some cooling fans to it or something, i like to listen to my bass so i dont want it turning off or burning on me.
now the L seven rms is 1000 this amp is 800 is that an okay combo??
also boxes, i like that hard hitting tight bass not the sloppy one, what box you guys say fits this sub best??
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
There is nothing wrong with the Kicker L7's, there is something wrong with the people who lack the knoledge and skills to build thier own box built to the specs of the woofer.   I was quite please with just building the recommended box, and after some adjustments to the tuning it will put most subs to shame.
Musically and SPL it will put all of the rockford products to shame.
I guess if you doubt it, you can get it for yourself and build your own box and witness the true capabilitys of these subs.
If you dont want to fabricate your own box and dont wish to spend a little time tuning then this sub would not be good for you.   If you want to work with the woffer then its a great Woffer to invest in!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
emetick 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
i dont mind makeing my own box as long as i know the proper specs.
if you dont mind what are the measurements of your box. is it for one or two subs. sealed or ported is best?? reflector?? what do you have and recomend??
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
While I agree that the box is the most important consideration behind a sub system and I have heard L7's that sound alright (sorry Jeff, just can't say amazing), consider also a pair of DD3512 as well (they should embarass the L7  and they might give Jeff to consider something to change to for next year as well).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
My problem(s) with the L7 recommendation is this:
a) The 15" L7 requires a pretty large box.
b) L7's aren't exactly efficient for the box size they require.
c) 800w is pressing against the excursion limits of a single L7 (especially in a ported enclosure).
Simply put, I don't think the L7 sounds right for THIS install and amplifier.
(It might be a perfect woofer in other installs).
There are more efficient 15" woofers on the market that work well in smaller enclosures. I'd buy two of them. Your bass system will be much more efficient than the single L7. This means it will be easier to drive louder, regardless of the amplifier you own.
Actually, though. I'd probably sell the amp (class a/b) to go with something class d and stress your electrical system a little less.
my 2c
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic