icon

tweeters 6 away

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
puttster 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

I have a space to mount a set of tweeters on the B pillar.  That would place the tweeters just above the seat backs, aiming towards each other. 

Bad idea? My main front speakers are a set of 4" in the kickpanels.    

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

puttster wrote:
Bad idea?  

IMO, yes.

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
Very bad idea.
Get the tweeter much closer to the 4" speakers in the kicks. In fact, the tweeter in the kick is ideal (imo).
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
puttster 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
The main speakers in the Kickpanels have tweeters in them.  I was thinking these B pillar tweeters could be more of a supportive role.  Maybe make the music sound less like it is coming out of the floor.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
They will more than likely drive you out of the car being that close to your ears, but when all else fails you can try just mount them with 2 sided tape (wire'em up) and try it out you may like it, I would not.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
put it where it sounds best to you. try the kicks, different spots on the door, and on the pillars along the windshield. Different tweeters sound better in different spots. Depends how you aim them as well and how much attenuation control you have.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
I sure hope you mean the a-pillars (between the windshield and the front doors) and not the b-pillars (between the front and rear doors).  Either way, I'm not a fan of running extra tweeters.  In my opinion they're mostly a "band-aid approach" to a problem caused by choosing the wrong speakers.  I'm assuming you have coaxial speakers up front.  Consider upgrading to components (5 1/4's or 6 1/2's) and then you can play with tweeter placement.  Ideally tweeters should be placed with the midrange speakers, but with some careful tweaking, you may find something else that suits you.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
if you decide to put tweets in your pillar, make sure you cut the volume drastically to where there are only a couple watts; thats ALL you need with something THAT close to your ears. of course "IMO" as you kids say these days.
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
kfr01 
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname:
You might want to spell check your signature.
The word is "infinite," not "infininte."
But, maybe you were trying to be ironic. ;-)
On topic: there are many things in audio that are subjective and can go any way. This isn't one of them. This is the nicest way I can put this: an extra tweeter 6 inches from one's ear is just plain crazy.
I just simply can't think of any rational reason for doing it. Ever.
As for trying to "raise the image" - aim the tweeter in the kick an inch higher at the listening location. Use a laser pointer, if you must. Problem solved.
kfr01 
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
I figured as much, but with a signature poking fun at human stupidity, one doesn't want to misspell a word! tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image. tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image. tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image. tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image. tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image. tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image. tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image. tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image. tweeters 6 away - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic