icon

2 kenwoods vs. 2 rockford for subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hooligan805 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2 Alpine 1024D subs, the power rating is 500 rms, 1500 watt peak. I have the option of getting either 2 Kenwood KAC-929 amplifiers that push aruond 1000 max, 450 rms or 1 Rockford Fosgate 1501bd 1500 watt amplifier. Either option is going to cost me 150 bucks. I know RF is better then Kenwood however I am not sure if its better to have each subwoofer have its own amplifier. Also if I do go with the Kenwoods is it ok to split the signal between the 2 using y cables? thanks for any help guys!

hooligan805 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

I screwed up in the title, I meant to say 2 kenwoods vs 1 rockford fosgate, sorry about that...

furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

Giving the choice of the 2 I would go with the fosgate.

hooligan805 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks. They are DVC and the RF is a monoblock. I assume that means single channel? I dont know why i assume that but yeah. The RF is not recomended for loads under 2 ohms. Now if I do go for the RF the proper way to wire this would be to have the them wired in parallel but run the extra voice coils in series so i am running at 4 ohms correct?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
Um if you go with the monoblock you could either wire them in parallel for a one ohm load or wire them in series/parallel for a final 4 ohm load
But that amp is not stable for loads under 2 ohms so at 4 ohms you'd prolly not be pushing those subs.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
And just as a side note...I don't like running at 1 ohm. It just generates too much heat. Too likely to get the amp into thermal shutdown. That's my opinion...and I'm sticking with it.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
In my personal experience, having installed probably hundreds of the kenwoods and owning multiple fosgate power series amps from that same generation I would say go with the fosgate.  The kenwoods arent terrible amps for what you pay honestly, but as far as the fosgate goes, it was their last year of relatively solid amps, and I can say from experience that those power series amps will put up with some serious punishment.  Go with the fosgate, run it at 4 ohms, it wont push the full 500 rms a piece that you are looking for, but it should technically push 750 at 4 ohms, and I can tell you, they are always underrated, expect 850-900, that 100 watts difference you wont really notice, even with those power hungry type r's.  Pretty solid amp, if you dont buy the fosgate at that price, let me know and I will pick it up.
fosgate152ohm 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
Fosgate all the way i say,  you just wont get that punch from the kenwoods that youd get for the fosgate
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
each sub having it's own amp would be better as far as not putting alot of strain on the amps, but the fosgate will make alot more power and handle the stain just fine
This is not necessarily a true statement. Amplifiers don't care how many speakers are hooked up to them. Amplifiers stain when asked to produce too much current (which creates excessive heat).
With the dramatic differences between these two amplifiers, it is difficult to say which amplifier(s) would be more strained.
I'm surprised nobody asked what kind of box he has these subwoofers in. Ported or Sealed?
Either way, I'd probably go with the Rockford wired to 4ohms. The difference in SPL between the Rockford at 750w/4ohms and 900w total for the pair (450w each) is going to be next to negligable.
With almost negligable SPL difference, I'd pick the Rockford for reliability.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
hooligan805 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone, thanks for the input!

Kfr01, I have them in a vented box right now. The box was actually Rockford Fosgates loaded enclosure model # PL2-212.  (One of the rockford subs leads came apart inside the cone.) I cut out some new rings and mounted them to the outside of the box so the Alpines would fit. Ghetto as hell but it doesnt sound bad and it is temporary. I plan on doing a fiberglass box for them but I am waiting until I get the amp so I know how big the amp rack needs to be.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic