icon

what's the smell?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

What? I dunno what I was talking about then, lol. Becuase if you look for yourself, you will see that the thunder 7500's are indeed 400 rms when the sub is wired in parallel so its 2ohm. The amp. is also 400 rms when its at a 2ohm load. Its a class-d mono block.

So tell me, if I fried my voice coil would it still work? Becuase if one fried, I assume the other would work. Although, when I fry one it only leaves me with one. Therefore, I would also assume it would be the equivalent to wiring one thunder 4500 to a 3401, and then would blow it. Since I just got back from Car Toys, it seems like its working to me...

Maybe I over exaggerated what I meant by the smell. I just sure as hell don't want to smell it. And its only by reasoning that if it smells bad, it is bad! Haha! I know that the only true way to set the gain is through a dmm. I don't have any money. eh? And still, it would cost me around $22 for 30min in the shop for a tune.

Wow, well, is it going to be possible for me to use the bass boost once its broke-in? The guy at Car Toys, not my buddy, tuned it for me by ear... We talked all about the whole thing and he said it was fine. Just have about 4 more hours to get the chance to POUND IT! :D

Now, I just have to wire up my amp rack, to the relay of mine, so I can get my fans to run. The heat and sun in my truck, make the amp hot. SO I have to get it going or no go!

Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Those MTX Thunder 7500 are 400 Watt Rms and 800 Watt Max, and they can take more than they're rated power, curently i'm feeding my 7500's like 490 Wrms and they are working fine.
You said you have your bass boos at 6dB i think it's better to set it at 0dB or no more than 3dB if i'm correct.
Shaking The Neighborhood
hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

wow! Well, I like to stick to what MTX says about their subs. You know, I don't want to test them!

One 7500 is crazy as hell in my truck. I dunno what I'm going to do besides really doodie myself when the other one is runnin'!

Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged  
The smell of the burning voice coils killed the mouse;  the mouse was getting even.  what's the smell? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
hex0rz wrote:

Wow, well, is it going to be possible for me to use the bass boost once its broke-in? The guy at Car Toys, not my buddy, tuned it for me by ear... We talked all about the whole thing and he said it was fine. Just have about 4 more hours to get the chance to POUND IT! :D

Never go back to that installer.
If your installer sets gain using a "by ear" method with 6db worth of bass boost, run.
Why do you think you need the bass boost?
Turn bass boost off! Never touch it. Turn the gain of your mids/highs amplifier DOWN if you need more bass relative to the rest of your system.
Also. You have a ported box? Your subs are rated 400w rms and your amp is rated 400w rms?
While you may be right that you "matched" the numbers, this makes setting the gain and using the volume control with a brain even more important.
You need to take your system to an installer that knows how to setup a system correctly. He needs to explain to you what settings you shouldn't touch. He needs to explain to you what your max volume number should be.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic