icon

setting up system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dubzino 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know what I wuld do without this forum. So many helpful members and I really appreciate it. But I have set up my system. I have an audiocontrol overdrive connected to my hifonics bx1205d amp running two 10" type R's. But I am wondering do I set the gain on the amp all the way down and play with the gain on the audiocontrol up front? Also the audiocontrol is hooked up to a pac interface frmo my factory deck which is adjustable the same as a line output converter. Do I put those gains all the way up? Or should I jsut leave them in the middle? I am really unsure. I have been playin with all the adjustments all week but cant get it right. Just when i think I have it right I start to smell some coils. I already blew out one sub and got a replacment. I do not want to do that again. Having the subsonic set to high would not cause me to smell coils would it? I am just extra cautious now after I already did one in . That is why I got teh audiocontrol so I can see exactly how much volts are beeing fed to the amp. Please help huys and thanks!
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Rules of thumb such as "leave gain in the middle" should NEVER EVER be what you follow. Frankly, statements like this lead me to believe that you simply don't know enough to own a line driver.
Why do you think you need a line driver? Were you having noise problems? Do you compete? 99.9999% of the folks out there do not need a line driver. What makes your installation special?
I don't get it. You got it so you could see how many volts are being fed to the amp? Who the hell cares!?! You've obviously experienced this.
More volts to the amplifier DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER OR LOUDER SOUND. Indeed, more volts often equals clipping and busted speakers.
Unless you were having serious noise issues, I think you should sell your line driver. Sorry.
Folks, take this as exhibit A of why a line driver is bad for most people.
Dubzino:
If you insist on keeping the stupid line driver, do this:
a) Turn bass boost on the amp down all the way. Never turn it up.
b) Set the subsonic crossover at 30hz if you use a ported box. Lower if you have a sealed.
c) Be sure you're using the balanced input on your amplifier!
d) Turn the gain on the amplifier ALL THE WAY DOWN. Never touch it again.
e) Don't use the remote bass control.
f) Turn the gain on the overdrive all the way down. Turn your volume on your headunit up 3/4 of the way. Dial your overdrive gain up until the volume is as loud as you'll ever listen to it or you begin to hear distortion.
There's a potential problem here in that you must not know what distortion sounds like. If you insist on using this line driver and still have problems, you'll have to take it to a car audio shop with a scope...
Good luck. I'd sell that friggin line driver.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
dubzino 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
yae I am going to get rid of it. I dont think I need it. I was jsut told you cam get thje cleanest possible signal with it. But no I didnt have any noise issue so I dont think I need it. So what should I set the gain on the line output converter if I am not using the line driver anymore?
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well, with the money from the line driver, I'd think about an aftermarket deck with pre-outs.
What's the voltage range of the line output converter?
What's the voltage range of the non-balanced input section of your preamplifier?
dubzino 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Well I took out the line driver and could of never made a better decision. Everthing is running right and perfect. I have come to the conclusion that it was because of the subsonic filter not being set before why I would smell a coil slightly after long play. Now it is perfect.Thanks for all the advice KFR01. You guys really helped me out. I want to install an aftermarket deck but I cannot find the installtion kit or ftrim sleeve for my vehicle. Buty all seems well now so I dont think I will be changing it unless I find the correct trim peice. The voltage range I am unsure of as it is a PAC interfact tht I am using that is plug and play directly into the back of the deck. My amplifier input range id from 9v - 0.1v.
kfr01 
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
No problem. I hope I wasn't too rude, I just don't like line drivers unless there is a -serious- noise problem.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic