icon

Totaly Custom Fiberglass Dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dextor 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
for starters i haave a 1986 chevy s10 . the stock dash is starting to crack and i hate the look of it. so i want to know how to make a custom dash that does not use the old dash. any information links articles would be greatly appreciated
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
i hope this isnt your first fiberglass project....
with that said there are a couple of threads on here that were started not to long ago about this..
you should also take a look at stevebrownuniversity.com website
there a million step by step pics there you could follow..no write ups though...
the job will involve you removing your current dash, vents, accessories linked to the dash, most likely your centre console if so equiped and your steering wheel to make things a little easier.
you will want to tape off and highlight the factory mounting points and try to utilize as many as you can in your reconstruction...
You WILL need drawings and a very good idea of what you want to do...otherwise it will look half assed and you will forget things...
you may want to rerun new venting lines for your AC/ heater to extend them to different spots and such..
i would start with 1/2 MDF strips in the mounting locations, fasten as long a strip as possible in the locations, connecting as many points as you can with continuous strips..from there build out your skeleton shape you would like the dash to be...
next locate where vents, radio, gauges, speakers, Monitors, switches, cup holders, ashtray, change holder, cd storage, etc.. are going to be and mock them in place with actual parts, to make sure they will fit...build your trim and mounting rings for said components..
make sure all connections are glued together, and possibly brad nailed ( as you will be most likely using 1/2 MDF for the skeleton and mounting surfaces brad nails will work. but glue must be used...
remove from truck to make sure it doesnt fall appart on you...once removed and you are happy with the structural integrity of ityou can get ready for glass..
tape and foil EVERYTHING this includes all the wires and junk soon to be hiddin under the dash, the pillars, the windshield (unless you removed it), the floor should have drop sheets down, essentially everything in the front of your truck...remove the seats if possible too...
make sure that all the outer edges of the new dash' frame work are rabbited for easy and recess mounted fabric, that way fiberglass build up will bring you out to where you need be...
stretch your fabric over your framework, personally i would reinstall it bac into your car after this is done...with all the screws in it...make sure you tape off the heads of the screws after putting them in...
now it is in and your confident that everything looks the way you want it too...Make sure the doors will shutthen mix up your resin and go to town soaking your fabric...i hope you chose something thin and light, for many reasons...
obviously weight, second it wont take as much resin if it is thinner...therefore you can get the whole thing coated in one shot...you amy want to thin the resin out with acetone too to make it a littler more runny, not necessary though, i have never done it, just heard it will work..
once cured you can begin laying up your chop mat...tear the mat into workable peices about 4" squarish...personally i would build up atleast four layers possibly 6, it is completely dependent on the shape of the dash...try to use as little resin as possible as it will only add weight and NO extra strength...
BEST of LUCK with this it is very fun...
PS there will be a tonne of surprises i am sure i did not mention that you may encounter...LOL but i am not going to sit here all day typing...you will find out soon enough i am sure...
Fiberglass Guru.
dextor 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
it is my first project but i will not be making it  for a good couple months so I am starting to do the research now. Thanks for all the info and the link i will be using them both.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=80863&KW=torquehead&PN=0&tpn=3

This is a post that I stuck a number of sites that will make your mind grow, and good luck.  Keep the questions coming, there is a wealth of kenetic and potential knowledge in this forum when you ask questions in depth *hint*.  So, get to your research.....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic