icon

Parking light output to dimmer wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, before I get flamed, I know that this is bad to do!

Now heres my problem, I accidentally did it.  My question is, what exactly in the car will this damage?  It is a 1994 chevy caprice with the digital speedo display on the dash.  When the car turns on, the speedo display comes on all nice and bright.  Once you turn the lights on, the display on the speedo dims to nothing.  NONE of the dash lights come on at all.  If I meter the dimmer wire from the switch, it still travels the range from 12 to zero.  If I remove the fuse it reads nothing.  I order the guy a new light/dimmer switch but I am wondering what you guys think got damaged.

xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
dimmer reostat. they are usually not capable of handling direct power. new switch should solve the problem.let us know how you make out
expandable sound
south of boston
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

I hope it does. 

So what is it in the rheostat that goes bad?  Somebody said something about a variable resistor?  I always knew it was a bad idea just cuz I was told not to do it but now that I am dealing with it, I find myself not being able to explain to my customer why that is.  Would it have been okay if I had used a diode or relay to isolate my connection from the switch?

punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
see what I dont get is if the switch were bad then why would I still get readings on my meter?  The rheostat is part of the switch right?  If that were bad then I would think that I would get no reading or maybe a very strange one.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic