the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Clipping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  

soultinter, there have been several threads in this forum that covered the subject of clipping.  Find them by looking for the word "clipping" in the subject as a forum search.

Here is one to start with.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
bellsracer, that indicates a failure in the spider more than anything else. In that case the speaker is being played beyond the mechanical limits of the drivers design and would not be a function of clipping. A speaker can be played beyond it's mechanical limits with a non clipped signal as well. If the cone is off centering at full excursion, be it a clipped or non clipped signal, this is indeed a mechanical failure.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2006 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm still struggling with the concept but everything helps. Can I loosely say that clipping is a form of distortion?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2006 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

soultinter wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm still struggling with the concept but everything helps. Can I loosely say that clipping is a form of distortion?

Absolutely.

Forbidden is 100% correct, if a loudspeaker is "kicking sideways" is has suffered some sort of mechanical failure.  A DC signal (or a 100% clipped signal) will not cause a voice coil to move sideways unless the suspension system is compromised in some fashion.  THEN Newton's laws may cause it to move in ways predictable by kinetic energy and gravity, and Faraday's laws can predict how movement might be changed due to magnetism.  But a properly functioning suspension system will keep motor motion linear.

Support the12volt.com
s_p_n_k_r_07 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  

The method I use to understand how "clipping" effects the signal is...... the input voltage to the amp exceeds the amps abilities to amplify at the rate the gain is set at.  Then the output of the amp is missing the very top and bottom of the sine wave, it basicly "clips" off the stuff it cant reproduce. 

Now were taking a nice rounded curve and adding abrupt changes.  This adds heat to the motor structure of the speaker. Because its just doing what its input is telling it even though its not acting the way it was designed. 

A speaker recieving a clipped signal is like running and hitting a brick wall and then having to run away from the wall at the same speed of impact instantly. (pretty difficult)   with a signal that has its natural sweep it would be like.... running into a rubberband and having the gradual slow to a stop and then having it help you return the opposite direction.

well at least it makes sence in my head, now that i'm reading it its not as enlightening as I thought. but worst case you will all get a good laugh at my expence and well all be friends in the morning.

clipping is the devil, and so is distortion.     just say no to noise in general.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic