icon

After 20 mins my speakers go insane

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeremey1000 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
I have two directed sx 1200w 12's being pushed by a rockford punch1600w amp that, after alittle while of me playing them at cruising level they start producing a fast and hard type of distortion(for lack of a better word). It sounds like a relay reseting at 50 times a sec and is very hard on my subs. My front and back speakers are on two other amps and do not make the sound.
I put a toggle switch on my remote wire because killing the system is the only way to stop it.
After turning it right back on it works fine for awhile and then something trys to muder my subs again.
I have a kenwood 280w amp for my front speakers and a crossover using the same remote wire. I put a relay on the wire help it out and have removed it and it is not the problem.
I moved my remote from my pioneer deh-6500 because another installer said that some pioneer's have a remote wire problem but it did not fix it.
I tryed the audio signal from the radio and have unhooked my crossover inputs for the sub's and that didnt fix it.
I would unhook the crossover outputs to the sub but I cant reach them while im driving and dont have it on long enough while its parked.
I am hoping for it to be something other then the amp
Any Ideas on this?
Jeremey1000 Has Spoken
dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

What size power wire and ground are you using?

This kinda sounds like motorboating... usually caused by too small of a power wire.

Team Edge Audio
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
motorboating???
jeremey1000 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
I dont think thats the problem. I exceed the iasca's recommended minimum wire gauge size with 2 gauge and I know its rather larg but a 8 gauge for my remote(lot of extra at the shop). But just incase, can motorboating still happen at low volume levels?
Jeremey1000 Has Spoken
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  
Not usually. It does sound like a voltage problem to me, though. Test the voltage at the amp power/ground terminals when this occurs. Make sure all connections are good, especially the ground if it's seperate from the other amp.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
To me it sounds like a bad ground that has manifested itself into a problem in the amplifiers power supply. In my experience, Rockford amps need the absolute best bloody ground that you can give them. The grounding sticky I developed was in direct relation to Rockford amp problems due to bad grounds. Go over that ground again. Turn the gain down on the amp as well if it is just that little too high. How hot is the amp when the subs start to motorboat?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jeremey1000 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
It get's hot but more sometimes than others. I have got two channels pushing 2 ohm loads so I built an amp rack with 2 fans doing a push pull cooling hoping to chill it out alittle bit.
Last time I checked the ground it had a value of just over 1\4 ohm. That should be considered a good ground right?
Jeremey1000 Has Spoken
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  

Switch your fans to both push or both pull. Make sure that the air has a inlet or escape for the air that is being moved. A fan that moves 500cfm of air used in multiples (push / pull) still only moves 500cfm. Put them both in the same direction and you are now moving 1000cfm or air. Might make things a little cooler for you. Sounds like the ground is good.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic