icon

Focal Tweeters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking about trading these for my front tweeters instead of a pair of Diamond Audio silk tweeters that came with my component set. My guess is they are far superior in sound quality plainly because it's Focal, but I am wondering if there's anything as good or better for around that price that I should look into?
Any feedback is welcome.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
My advice to you would be to upgrade your component set (only if you're not happy with them), rather than just the tweeters. That way you can know what to expect. Otherwise it's just a crapshoot even if the tweeters you are looking at appear much better on paper, and may be better performers.
The reason I say this is because the crossovers that came with your component set are designed for those speakers alone to give you as smooth a response curve as possible (or one that 90% of people will agree with). If you slap some other tweeters on there, you can create some unpredictable dips or peaks in your system's response curves. Also, the impedance difference will change the frequency crossover points, and your attenuation circuits alone will not give you enough precision to compensate.
With enough painstaking rta time and equalization, you might get the sound you're after. However, I could argue that you can also do the same with the equipment you now have.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

You are smart. I'm going to go with your advice. Any Focal component sets anyone reccomends? I don't really have an exact amount I'm looking to spend, just not a whole crap ton. Maybe $400-500... maybe a little more? Whatever seems right for purchase I guess.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

I would say go with the focal olyglass components but not from the site you provided. In fact, not from any online site. There are no authorized online dealers. heres a link for more info about authorized vs. unauthorized dealers.

http://www.focal-america.com/Images/notice.jpg

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
There are a bunch of bad Focal knock-offs floating around, be careful. Nothing wrong with online, unauthorized dealers if you're prepared to take a risk & know what you're doing. Just know it could bite you in the ass. That protection is what you pay a dealer for, among other things.
My experience with the Focals is the more you spend the bigger & better they'll sound. Get the best you can afford, it's worth it.
Absolutely agree that you don't want to inject the Focal tweeters into your existing component set.
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  

i had to smile at that comment boulderguy, about the protection from the dealer is what you pay for... we have a local dealer where i live and the "protection" that we get is that if a product breaks and is under warranty, he'll send it off for us to get fixed and let us know (sometimes) when it comes in. in the meantime, you are SOL if you have nothing to listen to b/c your radio or amp or speakers were sent off. there's no exchanges, just send off and be repaired and wait a few months for a return. to be honest, i can mail packages off myself and get RA#'s to go with them. many companies will fix most anything if you have a receipt showing a legitimate purchase, online or otherwise (many, not all and i dont know about Focal's procedures with warranties). not long ago, i bought an Early Warning radar (EW1100) off of ebay, brand new supposedly. the thing went off all the time, literally. i called them up and without any hesitation, the lady emailed an RA to me and told me that paypal receipts and ebay was okay, as long as it was bought within a year.

so, here locally in Monroe, LA, the "protection" issue isnt much of an issue. maybe my idea of protection is skewed but i'd think that if i bought a clarion head unit from an authorized clarion dealer and it quits working, then the dealer should exchange it if its the warranty period and not send it off and leave me hanging with nothing... that is, if he's interested in my business.

just my $2.70 worth. : )

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic