icon

painting head lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carstereonewb 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

does anyone know if this would come out well? i really want to paint my headlights to match car and spray paint would be easier than buying a paint gun but i also don't want it to look bad so  as always any tips or help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/headlight.php

If the cars not shaking the radio's to quiet
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah its really not hard to do, ive done three sets now I think. I've only painted one though. Its really easy to do though, just take your time to make sure you dont break anything.  There is some place you can go and they'll mix up your cars color and then put it in a spray can for you I cant remember where though.    You really have to be careful about putting the headlight in the oven you can melt the entire headlight, ive never wanted to risk this. So what I do is take a heat gun, its an overpowered hair dryer, you can get them at like lowes, home depot, any paint store. I take the heat gun and slowly heat up and area of the glue in the headlight and pull apart all the way around the light just a section at a time. And I read at the end where the guy said he wished he'd left the glue in. Just my opinion unless you heat the glue up to where its all really sticky this will not give you a good seal and you will have moisture in your headlights which is a pain to fix.   Again this is just what I do and it takes alot patience to get it right, I take the heat gun heat up apart of the glue then remove go to the next area, heat and remove. All the way around this way you have a perfect place for your silicone to lay in. Then just silicone all the way around the light and press together. Presto. Any more questions just let me know.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
koolauto 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
are planning on using them? a friend of mine bought some clear covers at a 4x4 shop and painted them still removeable .could make plexi glass covers?do you have bulbs  or lenses? drill in colored lights?
carstereonewb 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
yea  i plan for them to be fully functional i don't want to paint the lens just the plastic sround the lenses i'll either remove the lenses or tape them off depending on how setup is when i start taking things apart...
If the cars not shaking the radio's to quiet
koolauto 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
ok, is it off the car? go to any automotive sections and find a good de greaser, and look for the new paints for plastics lots of cool colors most dont need primer (your choice)  and make sure you use a good sealer. the blue painters tape works great and easy to remove..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic