icon

Focal VS. MB Quart

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like only 2 sets on their web is available 165V3E and 270V3. I thought there was another set like K3p or something before.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
focals are not authorized to be sold on the web. chances are they are fake.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

there is a kevlar 3 way. i forget the number. you could always get the 165KBE which is the bass extension kit for the k2p. If I was to do it again id go DIY, but I d also like to try out the 270V3 which is a tweet, 5.25" and a 11" sub.

I highly dont recommend splitting up a 3 way like you were thinking with the woofer in the rear with the tweet and the midrange in the front. it would sound terrible as far as soundstage and time alignment goes. for SQ purposes you want as much of your sound up front as possible.

mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
So in your opinion the three way set should be installed only in the front?
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
exactly. if you put the woofers in the back it seperates the freqs and just sounds terrible.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
I agree that the Focals sound better too, they're also pricier than the quarts generally. The "2" in K2P refers not to the number of drivers, it's the second version of the KP line & much improved over the originals.
If I did it all again I'd replace the K2P 2-way 6.5's with the 3-ways & install the mid/tweet in small kicks for better soundstaging. The 6" would go in the Fr door.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
jvillefinest wrote:

well...i think i understand where your coming from boulderguy, but still disagree with ya in the fact that not all power is the same. if you compare an Alpine MRPF450 (75x4) and a Audison LRX4300 (75x4) your saying that they are the same...and in fact that is not true i can guarrantee you that they are not and are very far from being the same. like i said i see where your coming from but there is just too many variables in your statement. In my opinion the amp is just as important if not more important than the speakers you are running. I dont care how much money you have in a speaker or how good it is, if your sending it a crap signal your going to get a crap sound out of it.

Up until a week ago I would have defended your statements 'til the cows came home. Then someone showed me something that rocked my audio world & made me reassess.
The $10,000 amp challenge
That document spurred me to about two hours of research trying to refute their claims. I couldn't do it. So the short version of what they've shown is that people with much better ears than mine simply cannot tell a difference between ANY two amps running the same power & operating within their capacity. I.E., 75w from Audison is no different than 75w from Craig/Sony/Pyramid etc.
Does this mean all amps are created equal? Course not. Amps differ vastly in build quality, reliability and ability to deliver power into varying loads. Differences you CAN hear between amps -
Turn on/off noise
DC offset
Hiss in some cases
Noise reduction technology
Compression
Radio interference (class D and T)
Damaged components
Power (one being louder)
oscillation/instability
What is does prove is that power is power, all other things being equal. And it appears making those other things equal sure is easy.
This means I've blown thousands & wasted God knows how much time & effort pursuing the ultimate amp.
Incidently, the same has been "proven" with cables, the net result is there's no significant sonic difference between the ratshack $2.50 patchcord or 16g lamp cord vs your $1000/m Kimber Kables. Ouch again.
So ultimately when you look at the big picture of what a car system is made of, that is source-amp-speakers, the speakers are the "voice" of the system, the amp is the "lungs," the source is the "brain."
The brain pretty much just delivers the signal it's told to with little variation. The lungs just push the air, some more, some less. The voice tho, that's infinitely variable. This is why I say invest your money in a set of vocal cords that please your ear, the rest is simple.
And obviously the install quality will decide if the equipment lives up to its potential.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
I go with focals hands down in this challenge. they are better quality and sound much better than most other speakers in the same price range
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic