Cd player don't like engine running!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikee55 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 4:45 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

This is my first post,and I think I'm in the right thread.

I'm just totally stuck by this problem.No matter how I power my headunit, I play a cd and it acts like its skipping,soundwise,but the display counter dissappears with it leaving track number intact and the backlight remains lit. Turn the engine off and it plays fine.

JVC Headunit KD-S6060
Corsa B type 94 1500TD
Batt 12volts
Alternator 14.3volts
I've wired direct to battery, and to various live points.Tried suppressing with a Cap and an inductor but the same thing occurs.Turn the engine off and everythings fine. I can't return the stereo because I bought it from me brother in law and its fine in his Beemer.Car battery is new, alternator a Recon,the owner,I'm turning into a cabbage with this .My earths are clean, and I normaly have it connected  straight to the battery.This morning I relocated the earth wire using the ariel plug and noticed an improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Cheers mikee55

Trust me , it will never work again
supercooper 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
wat kind of car do you have and it could possibley be just a ground problem because i had a ground problem with my amp and all it was doing was hummming so i picked a good ground and it solved everything
mikee55 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

Vauxhall Corsa B type '94 1.5td.

Hi Supercooper thanks for the reply, my earths are good, no humming thank god.The earth wires in the engine bay were taken off back in the summer, and cleaned and "polished",with an oil stone.The battery is new the alternator a Recon, new glow plugs have been installed so everthing was checked due to starting issues last winter. Even back then the CD's did the same. By the way, the radio is fine the cars electrics function as they should,bulbs nice and bright etc. So you can see why I bang my head against brick wall on this one.

Cheers mikee55

Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

I wonder if the alternators regulator is allowing too high of a voltage to be present. I had an Alpine years ago and the car's voltage regulator would allow the voltage to peak at 16 volts now and then and the audio would cut out. The CD section on yours may be more sensitive.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Measure the voltage at the head unit with the car off and then with it running.  The suggestion about poor voltage regulation sounds like a good possibility to me.
Support the12volt.com
mikee55 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all, Got 14.3 volts engine running 11.98volts battery, being thou I already started the engine so batt a bit low. I rewired it this morning, still same issue, but when I disconected the earth whilst a cd was playing, I exspected it to turn off, but it didn't???

Cheers Mike

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  

14.3 sounds a little hot to me too     I too would look towards Alternator/Voltage Regulator

Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
mikee55 wrote:

Hi all, Got 14.3 volts engine running 11.98volts battery, being thou I already started the engine so batt a bit low. I rewired it this morning, still same issue, but when I disconected the earth whilst a cd was playing, I exspected it to turn off, but it didn't???

Cheers Mike

I have the option at work to try things on a test bench with a variable DC output power supply and that's how I would check your radio out if I was troubleshooting it. I would also use the same meter to take out that variable and not the one in the power supply for testing. On the power supply I have access to I can slowly ramp up the voltage and see where it acts up. Some units have a narrower operating voltage range than others and with 14.3 on tours, your unit may only like 14.0 to 9 volts to work properly. At 14.1 or 8.9 the unit may not shut down all the way but different things act up. A little higher or lower than that and other things may act up.

As far as it working without the earth as you call it, the unit may be getting an earth (ground) through the antenna connection or what it is mounted to.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic