icon

Eclipse SW9122, DA7232 & ohm load

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ti240 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
So i have an Eclipse 12" titanium hooked up to an Eclipse DA7232 (4ohm dvc & 1000w x 2 @ 2ohm or 500w x 2 @ 4ohm). Currently the sub is wired in parallel and connected to one channel of the amp giving me 1000w @ 2ohm.
I have the option of giving the woofer 500w to each voice coil @ 4ohms by running one vc directly to each channel.
I remember hearing that sq gets better with more resistance.
Is this true? Would the 4ohm config. sound noticably different compared to 2ohms?
2005 Nissan Frontier - stock
comming soon...
Eclipse CD8443 deck
Eclipse PA5422 4-channel
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 front
MBquart DKE116 rear
Eclipse SW9122 the 12's
Eclipse DA7232 bass amp
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
No harm in trying this and finding out for yourself. As this is purely subjective, it is up to you if you hear it as being better or worse.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
Having HAD that very combination, the stero option, running 4 ohms per channel is still FORMIDABLE... You will not be disappointed, at all. The control will be higher than it is right now, and the amp will run cooler )nott hat it runs even a little warm anyway...).
I don't understand why you decided to waste one channel of the amp in the first place...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Ti240 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
cool, thanks. you think that's a waste? i have a second titanium just sitting at the house...it kills me. I just figure with all that power it wouldn't make much sense to run both channels at 2ohms on a stock alternator.maybe some day...
haemphyst, did you use a sealed box when you were running this setup? that's what i have right now but i was thinking about trying a port, just don't want to sacrafice the sq i'm enjoying so much Eclipse SW9122, DA7232 & ohm load - Last Post -- posted image.
2005 Nissan Frontier - stock
comming soon...
Eclipse CD8443 deck
Eclipse PA5422 4-channel
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 front
MBquart DKE116 rear
Eclipse SW9122 the 12's
Eclipse DA7232 bass amp
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
The SQ on that woofer is AMAZING... If you have a second woofer, put it in, man! Using both channels, even at 4 ohms, will put the same amount of power into one woofer as running one channel to it at 2 ohms, and your damping factor will be twice as high, (for better control) so, yeah, that's a waste (IMHO Eclipse SW9122, DA7232 & ohm load - Last Post -- posted image.). Now, you've told me you have two woofers, use each channel at 2 ohms then, sure. That's what the amp was made for! You'll LOVE it! You'll gain 3dB, but it should sound just the same, only louder!
I was using a sealed box, just shy of 1 cu. ft., (net) which is a bit small for the woofer, but I went for a little bit higher Q to improve power handling (at the expense of extension).
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
haem: what happened to your post count? Or has this been asked already?
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic