icon

mono rca wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1883atlantics 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

my head unit has mono (single) rca for its center channel output.  Do I need to get a Y adapter to plug it in to the LR rca jacks of my amp? I am using 1 dedicated amp for center, bridged. Bridging the amp will produce a mono output to the speaker, right?

TiA

Jeff

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

One speaker is a mono output.  Are you using two speakers for center or one?  Whether it's one or two, be careful of the resultant impedance when you bridge across two channels.

You can use just the left input RCA jack for mono input.  Since you are implying that the amp is a stereo amp, you can use just one channel output...depending on power output and impedance of the speaker load.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

One speaker is a mono output.  Are you using two speakers for center or one?  Whether it's one or two, be careful of the resultant impedance when you bridge across two channels.

You can use just the left input RCA jack for mono input.  Since you are implying that the amp is a stereo amp, you can use just one channel output...depending on power output and impedance of the speaker load.

Thanks for the info. The center is Alpine SBS-05DC, which is a multiple driver array resulting in 4ohm load. On the back there is only one positive and one negative speaker wire post. The manual gives VERY little info. It's 4ohms mono and takes 50RMS is about all it says. The amp is Kicker KX100.2, 35x2 4ohms, 80 x 1 4ohms mono (bridged), at 12.5V.  I doubt I'll ever push it past a 50W RMS sound level while listening (that's mighty loud for an everyday type ho-hum system). Do you think there will be any issues with this set up?

On a related note: the birth sheet shows "max power" as 115W.  It doesnt say RMS or peak, just 115W. So I really hope it's not putting out 115 x 1 RMS at 4ohms, as that would be triple the recommended power. it's very hard finding a 50 x 1 mono amp out there.

jeff

1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
115w is the peak, or max, power rating. the amp should be fine as long as the gains are adjusted properly. improper gain settings on an amp that close to the rms rating of the speaker could result in a blown speaker.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, and the speaker will handle peaks as well.  You should be fine bridging that speaker to the amp.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

awesome input guys! thanks for easing my mind. I will set the gains as best as I can, using the sticky on this forum. The center will handle 150 peak, so it should be fine.

You all have been a wealth of information!

Jeff

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Why didn't anyone just say "YES" ?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic