icon

Duplicating Key with Trans. Chip

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

Today I went to a local home depot to get a duplicate of a key for a 2001 altima. The car already came with 2 factory keys. Since i put in a remote start, i had to give up one and now i only have one. For keepsakes, i want to get another duplicate in case if i lose the only key I have. The lady told me that if you duplicate more than the two keys I have, it will erase the information on all the keys and none of them will work. Is this true, or is this something that can possibly happen somehow? I really dont understand the deal why the other keys will erase if i get another duplicate. thanx

snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
thats bulogna......you can have as many home depot keys as you want
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
Only the dealer can program another key....
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
There is a limit to how many keys you can program to a Nissan. Something like 4 or maybe 8.
Only a Nissan or Infiniti dealer, or a good locksmith with the proper equipment, can program new keys to your car.
You need to make ALL your keys available to the technician doing the programming, including the one that's buried in the remote start.
(Some savvy techs can program the buried key without taking the car apart, but I wouldn't count on it.)
If you forget some of your keys at home, they'll lose programming, and you'll have to go back and do it all over.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
Nissan keys can be programmed on top of each other without erasing the ones already programmed. Nissan needs one working key that is not a valet. The limit is 4 total. We install for Carmax Nissan and we go thru this everyday with them. Also, we have a company on the east coast called Hightech locksmiths. They program most chip keys and factory remotes onsite for about half what the dealer wants. They work the central east coast down to Florida...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
bryantobando 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
So at the end, which one is the correct answer, can I get another duplicate or not.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
1. Yes, of course you can get duplicate keys.
There is a limit to how many keys can possibly be programmed to the car---MikeM2 says a maximum of four keys, and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
2. I believe what MikeM2 says about the possibility of adding new keys while you have other keys still sitting in your house......but I wouldn't count on all of the Nissan techs to know that.
Therefore, when the car goes to the dealer or locksmith to have its keys programmed, have ALL existing keys with the car.
3. Call the Nissan dealer's service department for pricing. Call local locksmiths for pricing, and also ask if they'll come to you (many will). Make your decision from there.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
bryantobando wrote:
So at the end, which one is the correct answer, can I get another duplicate or not.
Home Depot can not make you a key that can start the car. They can make a key that will open the door.
I had a customer one time that needed me to remove the key that was buried as part of the remote start in order for the dealer to program a new key. She had lost a set of keys, so maybe she had asked the dealer to erase the lost key. Erasing that key may have needed her to bring in all keys that she wanted to be able to work.
Your best best would be to call your local Nissan dealership and talk to someone in service. Explain you have a key in the car as part of a remote start, and you want to know if you will have to bring that in when you come in to have another key added.
From what I have seen, most Nissan dealerships charge around $100 for a programmed key.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic