07 Tahoe aftermarket overhead DVD

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nspanntx 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys brand new here!!

I have a few questions about the aftermarket DVD we had installed this weekend on a 07 Tahoe.

First, it seems like it had drained the battery down. The unit stays on even when the vehicle is not on, is this normal? Is there a way that I can tell these guys how to hook it up to where it just comes on when the key is on and turn off when the vehicle is off?

Second, is there a way to hook itup so it plays through the "AUX" setting on the radio? It plays through 88.5 FM station and the radio station fades in and out over the DVD thats playing at the time, very annoying!!

Lastly, we were assured that they could hook it up to where the buttons on the steering wheel would control the DVD (track up, track down, volume up, & volume down) and the only thing that works, an extra $175 later, is the volume control from the steering wheel. Is this actually possible to hook it up like they told us it would be?

I know this is alot of info but would really appreciate some help before I call these guys tomorrow as i am a complete idiot when it comes to electronics.

Thanks,

NSpannTx

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
I'm a little unclear, at first a thought you were talking about an overhead DVD, but then you mention Steering wheel controls. Is this indash or overhead? In either case, it should turn off with the key. There is no accessory wire located behind the radio(the factory radio is Data linked to the car and knows thru that to turn on or off) but there is an accessory wire at the igntion switch. They need to relay that to the DVD to turn on and off.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
arrivalanche 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
also there is no way to controll your aftermarket stand alone dvd player with your steering controlls. i believe there is or soon should be a aux adapter for your radio. if you do have to have a fm mod like you do right now, make sure they are using a wired fm mod and not a wireless. wireless tend to get bleedover from other stations as you drive around. either way you will only be able to have volume controll at most for your video system.
nspanntx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
These guys assured me there was a way to do it. She will have to push the "source" button before each action (track up or track down) but that is ok as long as she has control from the front. She is dropping it off Friday morning, so we'll see and i'll be back to let y'all know what happens.
Thanks,
Noel
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
I think what they are installing is a PAC SWIX steering wheel control. It's a universal control theat allows anything with a remote to work thru the steering wheel.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
nspanntx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2006 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Mike for your input. It is an overhead DVD player and they installed a steering wheel video controller. They did show us that source and then up or source and then down will advance the DVD, the volume controls work as well. I took it Wednesday afternnon for them to look at it and they tried a few quick things. I am taking it back tomorrow (FRiday AM) A couple other questions I have, they said they were going to change it and install a button that would bypass the FM antenna so we would no longer get the FM station bleedthrough (static and sometimes songs) that we are currently experiencing. Bit we would have to push a button to switch back to radio when we wanted to. Is it possible instead to make the DVD player be the "AUX" function on my radio? Also, they said they could set it to where it would turn off with the engine but it won't turn back on (I have to turn it back on manually) (What they did was rewire something in the front dash panel by the door, however this messed up the steering wheels controls so they undid it and are going to work on it more Friday. I previously had one that was factory installed and I guess it spoiled me a little and I want this one to work similarly. Thanks again for any input or suggestions you may have!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic