icon

spl boxes, how do i get the most?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wildchildbmx6 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
i have 2 kicker 15" L7's and i want to put them into a box that will get the most spl's. i have them in an expedition so room is not much of an issue. they are being powered by a 4000 watt amp. i built a box that winisd prejected at about 130.21 db's how accurate is this? i dont care much about sq just loudness when i need it. i dont want to put to much stress on the sub. i know these are off the wall demands but can somebody please help me with any tips or designs. it would be greatly appreciated.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
The winisd prejection doesn't account for cabin gain.  Experimentaliation is needed for greatest SPL.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Im guessing your not going for SPL (competition use) but loud street use.   I would go with the kicker recomended enclosures for these subs, look in your manual or go to Kicker's website where it can be viewed there
4000 watts?   thats nearly double the power?   What are you getting all this power from?    Is the amp being fed by multiple batteries and a if not multiple high amp alternators?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
wildchildbmx6 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
its a 4000 watt 2ch amp but im sure its not that high. im not powering them with 4000 watts. i have a optima yellow top and a 200amp alt. i just want it to be obnoxious and i know that jeff knows how to do that with some kickers. please help
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Jeff just did help ya out. He said that the kicker design is the way to go and if Jeff is recomending it for these subs than I would take that as Gosspil
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
The Very Loud setups I build are in no way intended for Street use, as they would likely destroy all the equipment in a matter of 30 seconds.
The 12 inch recomended SPL enclosures, had a little bit to large of a port for my tastes, for a street setup
The 10 inch reccomended SPL enclosures were very large and I actually had better results with (2) 10's in a single recomended enclosure then I did with 1 sub in it.
The 15 reccomended enclosures I have seen and heard, have been very loud, low, and obnoxious...But the SQ was not even a consideration for them.   I listen to all kinds of music from Rock to rap, and I cant stand to have a box that does nothing but produce boomy bass
The Recomended SPL enclosures is a very very good place to start, Later this winter I will be working on some new designs from scratch to see what I can make happen with the 2006, 10's and 12's for more of an SQ side of things
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic