icon

HF850 in 2007 Avalanche

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Customautomotiv 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2007 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
I havent tried tapping after the amp in this car, so im not sure what sort of issues may arise. In this field, I tend to play it safe. I am insured but I prefer not to butcher someones vehicle by cutting wires unless they sign a waiver releasing me of all liability. Oddly enough people will spend the extra money on the harness if they want it done right. The 07 harness for chevy/gmc's is 2x as much as the previous harness, but in my opinion it is well worth it. The sound quality is excellent and you still retain full control over the on star system. As far as warranty issues.....if the audio system decides to take a doodie....even if it is a burnt out light bulb on the radio face...I GUARANTEE you the dealership will blame it on the handsfree install. I have been doing this for 16 years and I have had only a few instances where the dealership has tried to blame it on me. Everytime I have been able to prove that my install was not the cause. If a dealership can get out of paying for warranty services..THEY WILL!
Ppagliai 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

Point well taken, customautomotiv, but I do have to agree with elicoleman...what makes this harness so expensive?  Afterall, all I am needing is one full time hot, one ignition switched wire, a ground and a mute wire connection.    I have a external speaker, so there is no need to tap into the stereo.  Does the Parrot harness offer more features than I need (or am I missing something?)

I had a harness for my '03 Avalanche that was called a GMCell or something like that.  It was about 25 bucks...I hate to be tight fisted about the price of the harness and I don't want to invade the factory wiring. 

I guess I am looking for an elegant way to do this economically.....may not be possible!!??

elicoleman 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2007 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ppagliai wrote:

I had a harness for my '03 Avalanche that was called a GMCell or something like that.  It was about 25 bucks...I hate to be tight fisted about the price of the harness and I don't want to invade the factory wiring. 

It was probably GMCSS-2 from cell site. There is now a GMCSS-3 for 2007+ GM's, that Cellsite told me, mocks the hardware in the radio. It is no longer just wires. It includes some harware. I am still in search af the answer what the hardware does. I would definitly be leary of not using the harness on a 2007 GM vehicle. I don't know what would happen if you tapped the mute on the radio, or cut the acc power (using relay mute method) to the radio while the car is running. It may trigger a check engine light or worse.

Customautomotiv: I understand your point, I do use harnesses most of the time. (all the time on Ford and GM). But I recently bought a harness for a 2004 Lexus from quickconnect and all it did for me was 12+, Gnd, and mute. I had to locate 12acc and run the speaker wires after the amp. That paticular harness saved me about 3 minutes of install time and added $50 to the customers bill. Not worth it. Cellsite harness are great for factory system installs. I use them alot. I wish they would move beyond GM and Ford.

2003 GMC Yukon, Kenwood 815DVD w/ Nav. Memphis speakers. Kenwood 1200W Amp, Alpine 400W amp. Rear view camera, headrest monitors. Parrot CK3100
Customautomotiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2007 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
The new harness from Cell site does have an electronic box that has dip switches that must be set depending on the vehicle and if you have onstar. It is much like the interfaces you have to use when installing an aftermarket stereo in some gm cars.....chime module/bose interfaces. If you would rather do the work and cut wires...by all means go ahead. I havent had any issues with customers balking at the 150 bucks to do it the right way. I guess thats what you get in california...to many people with to much money. The majority of my customer base will not want the option of chopping into their factory wiring, they would rather pay the extra cash for the harness. Probably the easiest car i have done is the corvette. The amp is under the passengers floor board. That is about the only car I will splice into. Ford's are a piece of cake too....you dont even need the FCSS-2....you can push wires through the molex plugs on the back of the radio......and charge the customer the same as you would for the harness.....but no overhead!
Ppagliai 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Folks,

I did end up purchasing the GMCSS-3  for the 07 truck.  I am very pleased...you will have to purchase the LOC-1 to address volume output issues if you want to run it the the speakers in the vehicle instead of the dedicated speaker.  That is a $5 item.

I did find the harness at www.AutosportStyle.com for under $100.

Thanks for all your help!

pp

elicoleman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Customautomotiv

I would be interested in knowing how you push the wires through on Fords. Do you use terminals on the wires? I hate having to buy harnesses for everything. Thanks!

2003 GMC Yukon, Kenwood 815DVD w/ Nav. Memphis speakers. Kenwood 1200W Amp, Alpine 400W amp. Rear view camera, headrest monitors. Parrot CK3100
Customautomotiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
I take 18-20g wire and strip off about 2 inches of insulation, I then push the wire through the empty slot and feed it through the other end. Once I have a little wire poking through the other end I bend it upwards so that it stays clear of the other pin holes. I then push the molex plug back into its housing. Thats it! Nothing to hard for anyone to do.
jlsmobilesound 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Couldn't you also make relay to interrupt the stereo and mute it when you get a call? I installed one of these Motorola HF850 kits for a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali and we didn't do the mute deal because the customer didn't want to wait around. But anybody ever do a "relay" type interrupt? And this harness from parrot also does the job fine - never heard of complaints.
elicoleman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Denali has a mute input in the radio.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic