icon

Aux Input for an Older Delco Radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jayv8 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
did you ever take your ebay radio apart and figure it out ? this seems like an awesome mod that would be perfect for my v8 fiero -if not i'll take mine apart and see if i can figure it out
jayv8 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2007 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i figured this out -not much on these radios on the net -this is very simple hack, i searched the internet longer to not find any info then to just figure it out myself -i attached a pic of the connector to understand what i am talking about -the radio i used is from an 86' pontiac fiero -firebirds/camaros also had similar units (among others) -1. take the bottom cover off the radio 2. find the connector next to the cassette part and pull it out, no need to disconnect there is plenty of wire -the orange wire is the right audio input, the white is the left audio input, the ground just gets connected to the radio itself 3.this is the tricky part, now you need the cassette deck to think there is a tape in there -if you dont care if the cassette deck ever works again, cut the orange and white wires  and just solder to the radio end and just stick a tape in the deck everytime you want to use your aux input -there is also several other methods, one method is to solder a switch between the brown and red wires and flip a switch everytime that also allows you to still use your cassette deck -the best method is to wire this up to a jack and get one of those jacks that has a switch in it so everytime you plug into it, it triggers it -a couple of side notes on this though, these radios arenet that great for overall sound quality -i was going to do this so i could put my stock radio back in for the look but after hearing the radio i put my pioneer one back in  -still a neat no budget hack though -hope this helps someone into the right directionAux Input for an Older Delco Radio - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image. 
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah this sounds like what I reccomended to do way back in the beginning of this. I saw no reason why that simple "hack" method into the tape head audio wires and using a switch to "trick" the unit to thinking a tape was in it shouldn't work. However I did always wonder why anyone would really want to do this to a delco as there are many aftermarket decks out there with aux inputs as well as ipod interfaces very fairly priced that would sound alot better then an old delco.

But regardless if for some reason someone was really attached to an old delco we see it can work if sound quality is not a concern.

mickstan_vr 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I did get the radio from the guy on ebay. Got it all figured out now. The tape deck is NOT the way into the amp for this mod. I have improved on his method and I am now selling the complete radios and input "kits" (with detailed instructions) on ebay myself. Its a very simple mod. No switches. No tape adapters. The radio and tape deck work normally. This will work on 90%  of GM Delco radios from 1982 thru 1999. Do a search for "delco ipod"  on ebay and you'll find them.

As for why I would do this?  I want to retain the stock look of the interior of the car. The aftermarket radios never fit in the space without adapters, and I personally think they look like crap. The headunit itself sounds just fine, and with an iPod hooked up directly to the amp, its CD quality!

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic