icon

soldering heavy gauge power cable?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
garagexti 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I was curious if somebody could share their techniques on soldering heavy-gauge power cable. I've crimped a ring terminal on my 4 gauge power wire, but I would like to solder it too for a more effective connection. A few questions:
- Is rosin-core solder still the way to go, or will i be better off with a solid-core and flux? IF not rosin-core, the type of flux and solder would help.
- will a propane torch do the job, or is there a better means of doing this?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

I use rosin core to solder all of my electrical connections. Acid core is for pipes. I had used a propane torch but have switched to Mapp gas as it seems to burn hotter. I crimp the terminal end onto the wire and then heat up the ring terminal farthest away from the wires insulation and apply solder into the joint. Sometimes I get a small fire from the resin burning and it's easily blown out. I use a self igniting torch head from Sears and it works out real good. The propane and mapp gas cylinders interchange with this same torch head.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Use a large soldering gun, not a soldering iron.  A torch is overkill and hard to control and often leads to fried insulation.  Rosin-core will work fine.
Support the12volt.com
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
large guage wire is very hard to solder. getting solder to the center takes a lot of heat. youre better off crimping.
93cavdemon 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
or you could do like i used to do on doube 0 wires (i had to make my own connectors) but anyways put the connector in a vice heat it up with a torch and melt solder on the inside of the connector (you need a closed end obvisally). but anyways fill the connector up half way take the torch off and shove the wire in to the connector and hold it till it hardens
garagexti 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
all good tips. thanks all. i'll give a few of these methods a try.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
93cavdemon wrote:
or you could do like i used to do on doube 0 wires (i had to make my own connectors) but anyways put the connector in a vice heat it up with a torch and melt solder on the inside of the connector (you need a closed end obvisally). but anyways fill the connector up half way take the torch off and shove the wire in to the connector and hold it till it hardens
Wouldn't that kinda make a cold solder joint?? and aren't cold joints bad and have higher resistance??
Just checking...cuz I've had trouble and was about to go out and buy a lil torch lol
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, most likely you'll get a cold solder joint. The wire will act as a heat sink and cool the solder rapidly. Also, solder itself is not a great conductor. Ideally you want to crimp first, then, if desired, solder. I too use a torch. I have a small, self lighting butane torch for most jobs. I also have a propane torch, but it doesn't see much use.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic