icon

port tuning

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

i am building a box for 4 12w3v2 and there is gonna be around 2 feet of cubic air per chamber for each sub. the question i have is should i go with the jl recomented tuning of 30.8 or should i go with somethin like 32hz or should it be around 37-38hz?  i want it to be as loud as they can be so what should i tune the box to?

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I recommend using JL's recommended 32hz tuning frequency, if anything I would say go a tiny bit lower. I used to run 4 12w3v2s for a while, ran them sealed, ported to 32, and ported to 27. Of all I honestly liked the 27 the best, but the 32 did sound amazing on some songs. That setup will be very very loud no matter what you do, so I wouldnt recommend sacrificing any listening preferences to make it as loud as possible, unless you are going into spl competition.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
If you want them to be as "loud" as they can be...find the resonant freq of your vehicle...plug your box and woofers into WinISD...and tune so the box has a high peak at the resonant frequency...but with 4 12's its gonna be loud either way lol
SPL tuning is high and doesn't really have much low end.
So if you want louder than tune higher...30-35Hz is more for daily driving
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

i need some help with my box

the external dimentions of my box are: 

19.5" wide

21.75" tall on one side and 18' tall on the other side

and 17" deep

and its all made out of .75' mdf

the question i have is that i want the box to be tuned to 32 Hz with a 1-2" inch port more twards a 2 " port, but i cant figure out the port lengths?  ive tryed using the reaudio.com's box calculator and it is telling me the 1st port length should be 16.25" long, but that only leaves .75" for the port? that doesnt seem right and then the 2nd port length says 12".  so i was wondering if anyone can just end this confusion for me and help me out and tell me what i should make the port to to tune the box to 32Hz? or are those dementions good for this box?

oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
those dimentions are for 1 box only but it is going to be a box for 4 subs
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not 100% sure what you are saying in some of your comments... but your dimensions create a 2.97 cubic foot enclosure volume.  If you want to port this with one 2" port @ 32Hz, your port is only 1.32" long.  To be accurate, we'll need to take into account the volume displacement of your speaker and bracing, but 1.3 to 1.5" is close.

Then you talk about 4 subs.  Are you trying to put 4 speakers into this one enclosure?  This will change things radically, if you can make them fit at all.  Or are you building 4 enclosures like the one you describe, one for each speaker?

A 2" port is probably too small for this system as it will make lots of noise.  I'd use a 4" port  @ 8.2" long.

Support the12volt.com
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
yes those dimentions create a 2.97 cubic foot enclosure but that is sealed, i want one with a port.  i was describing one of the boxes but there are going to be 4 just like each other and that is the dimentions of just one sub box. so all 4 subs will have a seperate chamber.  and i dont get how you come up with a 4" port @ 8.2 long? so can you explain how youget that cuz im not sure how to do it. and if it is 4" wide then were should i measure the 8.2" from? the tallest corner or the smaller one?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
4" diameter round port 8.2" long.  If you want it to be a slot, then you need to convert the 4" diameter into an equivalent surface area.  4"=12.56 sq inches, which can be accomplished by, for example, a slot port that is 2"" tall X 6.28" wide.  The length would still be 8.2".
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic