icon

Voltage Output Too High

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dafreakinrican0 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  

I currently have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with two 12" Kicker L7's wired down to 1 ohm on a Kicker 1200.1 one ohm stable amplifier. When I have my volume playing at a high level, my audio amplifier cuts off and goes into protection mode. I went to trouble shoot with my DMM and i am getting voltages around 15.0 - 15.9. This is a very high voltage for a STOCK electrical system. I have had this same set up in an older vehicle, and it was fine. It only happens when i have my music slightly louder, and it seems to me that my alternator may be outputting too much voltage after a bass note hits. Im thinking about possibly trying a new ground, and i am going to do the BIG 3. If anyone has any input please let me know :)

umgixxer 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
where are you testing your voltage at
dafreakinrican0 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Voltage is being tested at the amp wiith the dmm and amp being grounded to the chassis. someone PLEASE chime in.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
It almost sounds as if the voltage regulator is not functioning properly on your alternator, if you have a local oriley auto or other many will test the alternator free of charge..
Or look in your manual and see what you alternator should be charging at, I know that a standard wet cell battery should not be charger higher then 14.8
The kicker amps will take 15.5 but the closer you get to 16.0 you will have problems
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
dafreakinrican0 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
Thats what i was thinking (voltage regulator). Ill have to have the output of the alternator load tested and see. I wonder if the dealership will try and fight with me for a new regulator/alternator. I NEVER thought i would see the day i would complian of too high of a voltage level, lol.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic