dead battery since compustar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flykelley 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

Ok Guys

I had a compustar remote starter installed on my 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD pickup. It is my plow truck so I have strobes on the roof and headlights. I also have a electric salt spreader. Since the remote starter was install last week the battery will go dead after about 9 hrs. The truck has dual batterys from the factory. I took it back to the installer and he double checked everything and says it is wired up correct. He also check for a draw and said it was drawing 1.4 volts at rest. I had the batteries tested along with the starter and alt and everything checked out there. Where do I start looking next, this is driving me nuts. Nobady seems to know what to do other than start removing all the electrical hook ups one at a time to see if maybe that will stop the dead battery. Killing two batterys in 9 hrs has to be a huge draw. Any ideas would be great. I don't remember the model number but its a 300 ft model with the light gray remote, no alarm.

Thanks Mike

Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like maybe you have relay sticking.
Tacomacrew
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

I had an older Clifford a while back that was drawing excessive power only now and then. Another shop had it before I did and they said it was from the power wire I had run and they left the underhood fuse out and when I got it I checked the currrent flow and it did draw power at first but to charge the internal caps inside the amplifier. I could not find any draw when I got it but after playing with it a while (arming and disarming) it finally started drawing more current than usual. I armed or disarmed the system and once in a while after maybe 10 tries it would act up. Sometimes checking things quiclky will not have a problem show up. If it is an intermittent these will be harder to find. We get service equipment in and some of them the customer says it's acting up but we cannot get it to screw up. A vehicle is different and you normally need this and cannot leave it somewhere for days on end.

Someone should be able to by starting, stopping, arming, remote starting, disarming it, driving it and so on should be able to get the problem to reoccur. It's just when.  If all else fails pull out the fuses for one thing and see how the system works for a day or to and if it doesn't mess up that could be the problem. If it continues to act up then leave that first fuse out and get it down to how it was from the factory.

The draw should be in amperage. A reading of 0.02 amps would be acceptable but if it's 0.06 or higher then something is on. If it's 1.40 amps then something bigger is still on. 

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic